Physics about particles behave (dust simulator)

In summary, this person is trying to create a simple particle simulator, but doesn't understand what Dust is or how to create a realistic simulation.
Vivian_H
Dear all,

I have some problems to do a dust simulator. Now there are a lot of physics and math questions I should figure out, then I can do the particle behavior calculation correctly.

What I want to do:
A simple scene contains a floor and a box. When the user press the direction key “Left” “Right” “Up”(go North) “Down”(go South) and that can control the moving speed and direction of the box on the floor.
When the box is moving, there are some particles (dust) behind it. Those particles’ position and movement should look like dust.

Overall, it will be a simple simulator and I don’t consider particle stickiness, collision and wheels effect now. Is anyone familiar with the particle physics like Reynolds Number, Navier-Stokes Equation, Laminar Flow, computational fluid dynamics etc.?

Thank you,
Vivian

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like a typical particle simulator using a Monte Carlo method.

One would start with N (x, y, z) positions and N (vx, vy, vz) and bascially follow the particles calculating a new position after each time increment.

If one simulating dust particles in a gas medium, then one has to model the bulk movement of air with the appropriate equations. Then one models particle-fluid or fluid-fluid interaction.

The box is a boundary condition, which is stationary (fixed) or moving (time dependent).

edit: I was going to add that this seems to be a question for Clausius2, and here he is. :smile:

Last edited:
Vivian_H said:
When the box is moving, there are some particles (dust) behind it. Those particles’ position and movement should look like dust.

I don't understand that. Can you make it clearer? What do you mean with "behind" and with "dust". What is "dust" for you?. Do you mean something random?. Even the aerodynamics of a box in a cloud of dust is deterministic. How do you want to track particle trajectories? One by one? or do you want to treat the "dust" as a cloud (scalar)?

Related to Physics about particles behave (dust simulator)

1. How do particles behave in a dust simulator?

In a dust simulator, particles behave according to the principles of classical mechanics and statistical mechanics. This means that they interact with each other through forces such as gravity and electric fields, and their behavior can be described using mathematical equations and statistical models.

2. What determines the movement of particles in a dust simulator?

The movement of particles in a dust simulator is determined by a combination of their initial conditions (such as position and velocity) and the forces acting on them. These forces can come from interactions with other particles, external fields, and the boundaries of the simulation.

3. Can particles in a dust simulator exhibit emergent behavior?

Yes, particles in a dust simulator can exhibit emergent behavior, which refers to complex behavior that arises from interactions between individual particles. This behavior can be difficult to predict and may not be present in the behavior of individual particles.

4. How do researchers use dust simulators in their studies?

Researchers use dust simulators to study the behavior of particles in various environments, such as in space or in industrial processes. They can also use these simulations to test theories and models, and to better understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can dust simulators help us understand real-world phenomena?

Yes, dust simulators can provide valuable insights into real-world phenomena by allowing researchers to simulate and study complex systems that may be difficult or impossible to observe in the real world. They can also be used to test and validate theories and models, leading to a better understanding of the world around us.