Physics 12 Help- Electomagnetism and Torque

In summary, the conversation is about a question that involves calculating torque using a formula that is not on the approved formula sheet for the school. The formula, Torque = NIAB, is mentioned and the person asks if anyone knows how it was derived. Another person suggests using a website for help but the original person states that the question is supposed to be solved using equilibrium and electromagnetism equations. The conversation ends with a question about whether Force = Current x Length x B-field is on the approved formula sheet.
sweatpants

Homework Statement

If you were given this question: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/975/picture7we.png
how would you go about solving it?

Homework Equations

I found a formula that makes this question seem a lot easier. Torque = NIAB. however, this formula is not on the formula sheet that is approved by the school so I am not supposed to know about it unless i figure out how to derive it. Does anyone know how this formula was derived?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sweatpants said:

Homework Statement

If you were given this question: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/975/picture7we.png
how would you go about solving it?

Homework Equations

I found a formula that makes this question seem a lot easier. Torque = NIAB. however, this formula is not on the formula sheet that is approved by the school so I am not supposed to know about it unless i figure out how to derive it. Does anyone know how this formula was derived?

The Attempt at a Solution

Try http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magmom.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick said:

Hmmm. I've never actually heard of a magnetic dipole moment or its potential energy. Apparently this question is supposed to be solved using solely equilibrium equations and electromagnetism equations which don't already include torque.

Thanks for trying to help though.

sweatpants said:
Hmmm. I've never actually heard of a magnetic dipole moment or its potential energy. Apparently this question is supposed to be solved using solely equilibrium equations and electromagnetism equations which don't already include torque.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Is Force = Current x Length x B-field on your approved formula sheet?

Of course, you'll need to add the equation for torque to come up with the answer.

To solve this question, you would first need to recognize that it involves electromagnetism and torque. This means that you will need to use equations and principles from both of these areas of physics. The given formula, Torque = NIAB, is a commonly used formula in electromagnetism, where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, A is the area of the coil, and B is the magnetic field strength. However, as you mentioned, this formula may not be on the approved formula sheet, so it is important to understand how it was derived.

To derive this formula, you would need to use the principles of electromagnetism, specifically Faraday's law and the Lorentz force law. Faraday's law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. In this case, the magnetic flux is equal to the product of the magnetic field strength and the area of the coil, so we can write this as:

EMF = -d(BA)/dt

The negative sign indicates that the induced EMF will oppose the change in magnetic flux. Next, we can use the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is equal to the product of the charge, velocity, and magnetic field strength. In this case, the charged particles are the electrons in the wire, and the force they experience will cause them to move in a circular motion around the axis of the coil. The direction of this force can be determined using the right-hand rule.

Now, we can combine these two equations to find the torque on the coil. Torque is defined as the force times the lever arm, so we can write this as:

Torque = F x r = qvB x r

Since we are dealing with a coil, we can assume that the radius of the coil is equal to the radius of the circular motion of the electrons. We can also substitute qv for the current, so we get:

Torque = NIAB

This is how the formula for torque in an electromagnet was derived. It is important to understand the principles and equations behind the formula, rather than just memorizing it. I encourage you to continue exploring and understanding the concepts of electromagnetism and torque in order to become a better physicist.

Related to Physics 12 Help- Electomagnetism and Torque

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic forces, including electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions with charged particles and currents.

2. What is the difference between an electric and magnetic field?

An electric field is created by a stationary electric charge, while a magnetic field is created by a moving electric charge or a permanent magnet. Electric fields exert forces on other electric charges, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving electric charges.

3. How is torque related to electromagnetism?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate. In electromagnetism, torque is related to the interaction between an electric current and a magnetic field. When a current-carrying wire is placed in a magnetic field, a force is exerted on the wire, causing it to rotate and creating torque.

4. What is the right-hand rule in electromagnetism?

The right-hand rule is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of the force exerted on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. It states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, your palm will face in the direction of the force.

5. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in a wide range of electronic devices, including televisions, computers, and cell phones. Electromagnets are also used in various industries, such as in magnetic levitation trains and MRI machines in healthcare.