Physicists That Study Dark Matter?

In summary, dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and does not interact with light. Physicists study it through various methods and the current understanding is that it is made up of WIMPs. Studying dark matter is important for understanding the universe and its fundamental laws. While it cannot be directly detected, its effects can be observed through different methods.
RAD10ACT1V3
Hi. I've been looking into a possible career in physics once I graduate high school, and I was wondering which types of physicists study dark matter? I have heard astrophysicists do, but are there any others?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place, I've never posted anything before.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, dark matter crops up in astrophysics and particle physics.

Related to Physicists That Study Dark Matter?

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light, which is why we cannot see it, but we can observe its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How do physicists study dark matter?

Physicists study dark matter through a variety of methods, including observing its gravitational effects on visible matter, analyzing the cosmic microwave background radiation, and conducting experiments with particle colliders.

3. What is the current understanding of dark matter?

The current understanding of dark matter is that it is made up of particles that do not interact with light, called WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles). However, the exact nature and properties of dark matter are still unknown and are the subject of ongoing research.

4. Why is studying dark matter important?

Studying dark matter is important because it can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It can also provide insights into the nature of gravity and the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Can dark matter be detected?

While dark matter itself cannot be directly detected, its effects can be observed through various methods, including gravitational lensing, galaxy rotation curves, and particle collider experiments. Scientists are also working on developing new technologies and techniques for detecting dark matter directly.