Physical motivation for integrals over scalar field?

In summary, the temperature example could be off, and you could look for examples of physical motivation for integrals over scalar field that don't require knowledge of physics.
Feynman's fan
I'm looking for good examples of physical motivation for integrals over scalar field.

Here is an example I've found:

If you want to know the final temperature of an object that travels through a medium described with a temperature field then you'll need a line integral

It appears to me that the final temperature of our object would depend not only on its path (i.e. the image of the curve) but on the speed as well (if it spends a lot of time in an area with low temperature, it won't be reflected in its path but it clearly would be reflected in its final temperature). So it looks like the value of the integral would be parametrization-dependend (but it shouldn't).

So I have two questions:
  1. Am I right that the temperature example is off?
  2. What are some good examples of physical motivation for integrals over scalar field? (If possible, don't assume any knowledge of physics.)
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman's fan said:
Am I right that the temperature example is off?
Impossible to say unless you specify the line integral. What makes you think the line integral cannot be made velocity dependent? You could very well also give the velocity as a function of the position in order to solve this. Although in reality it is not going to be a simple integral, the heat transfer generally depends also on the object's temperature.

Feynman's fan said:
What are some good examples of physical motivation for integrals over scalar field? (If possible, don't assume any knowledge of physics.)
So you want physics examples without physics? That sounds like a contradiction in terms.

This kind of integrals are probably the most intuitive ones you can find. Integrate a density and you get a total amount. For example, integrate mass density and you get total mass, integrate energy density and you get total energy.

I don't know whether this helps. However, I've asked myself how the average temperature on the Earth's surface is calculated? There often is a number around - I think 15°C something - and how it changed through times. The integral was the only solution I could think of.
I did not post it here, since probably someone would have shown up and started to debate the data stock, the timestamps, the distribution of measurements and so on and so on which won't let me expect a meaningful answer. Nevertheless, this global number is in this world and someone did the calculation despite all miseries.

Related to Physical motivation for integrals over scalar field?

1. What is the physical significance of integrals over scalar fields?

The physical significance of integrals over scalar fields is that they represent the total value of a scalar quantity over a given region. This can be interpreted as the sum of all the infinitesimal contributions of the scalar field within that region.

2. How are integrals over scalar fields related to physical laws?

Integrals over scalar fields are related to physical laws in that they can be used to calculate important physical quantities such as mass, charge, and energy. These quantities are often defined in terms of scalar fields, and integrals provide a way to compute their values over a given region.

3. Why are integrals over scalar fields important in physics?

Integrals over scalar fields are important in physics because they allow us to analyze and understand complex physical systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. They also provide a way to calculate important physical quantities, making them essential in many areas of physics.

4. How are integrals over scalar fields calculated?

Integrals over scalar fields are typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the nature of the scalar field and the region over which the integral is being calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals over scalar fields?

Integrals over scalar fields have many real-world applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate the center of mass of a system, the total charge within a region, and the total energy stored in a system. They are also used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics to analyze and solve complex problems.