Physical meaning of field components in "angle" directions

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of unit vectors in describing position and force fields in mathematical physics. Unit vectors are used to describe the direction of position vectors and how they change with respect to angles. In physics, we may encounter fields with components related to unit vectors, such as in the case of vector potentials, and these components provide information about the field. The conversation also highlights the importance of asking seemingly simple questions, as they can lead to important insights and discoveries.
TubbaBlubba
This has been in the back of my head during a course in Mathematical Physics. In for example cylindrical or spherical coordinates, we have one or two unit vectors describing position (er, for example), their directions in a Cartesian system the function of three variables. But we also have e.g. eφ. I've vaguely understood these unit vectors as relating to differential and integral operations, i.e. describing the manner in which the direction of position vectors change as the relevant angles change (very obvious in cylindrical or 2D polar coordinates), as well as with regard to the intuitive notion that you somehow need n vectors in n dimensions.

But in physics, we might encounter fields of the form, in for example spherical coordinates, A = (Ar, Aθ, Aφ), and here I'm not quite sure what the latter two components are trying to say. I do know that if a force field is given by F = ∇×A, then, say, an inverse square force can be given by A = eφ(-cot θ)/r. So, is it the case that field components pertaining to these unit vectors are only interesting in the case of vector potentials? Any other subtleties to it?

Essentially, when I see a field with components like that, what does that tell me about the field?

Thanks.

EDIT: Wow, after pondering this for a few days, minutes after posting, I just had an epiphany and realized what a hare-brained question this is. If I have a vector field depending on position, then a position unit vector can only be used to describe a radial force. If I want to describe forces with components orthogonal to that, I need to have linearly independent unit vectors. And then, that relates to the "describing the change of direction of the position vector with respect to angle" notion by virtue of the fact that a force in such a direction will indeed change the angle.

Well, good thing I got that cleared up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes RJLiberator
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no such thing as a hare-brained question. It's usually the seemingly dumb questions that lead to great discoveries.

Likes TubbaBlubba
Well done.

Likes TubbaBlubba

Related to Physical meaning of field components in "angle" directions

What is the physical meaning of field components in "angle" directions?

The physical meaning of field components in "angle" directions refers to the magnitude and direction of a field at a certain angle from a reference point. This can also be thought of as the strength and direction of a force or energy at a specific angle.

How are field components in "angle" directions calculated?

Field components in "angle" directions are typically calculated using trigonometry, specifically the sine and cosine functions. The magnitude of the field is multiplied by the sine or cosine of the angle to determine the component in that direction.

What is the significance of field components in "angle" directions?

Field components in "angle" directions are significant because they allow us to understand the direction and strength of a field in a specific direction. This can help us predict the behavior of objects or particles in that field and make accurate calculations and predictions.

What are some examples of fields with components in "angle" directions?

Examples of fields with components in "angle" directions include electric and magnetic fields, gravitational fields, and electromagnetic waves. These fields all have different strengths and directions at various angles, which can be calculated using trigonometry.

How do field components in "angle" directions affect the overall field?

The field components in "angle" directions contribute to the overall strength and direction of the field. By understanding the individual components, we can determine the overall behavior of the field and how it will interact with objects or particles within it.