Physical limitation on energy quantity stored in a battery?

In summary, There is no hard limit on the amount of energy that could be extracted from a stored chemical energy source, but the absolute maximum amount would be given by E = mc^2. In chemical batteries, two half cells are needed for a full redox process to take place, usually requiring several atoms per electron exchanged. The most efficient energy storage method currently is lithium-ion batteries, as lithium is the smallest alkali metal and abundant enough for supply. Other potential "better" choices have not been found yet. The theoretical limit of batteries is determined by the first and second laws of thermodynamics, with the ideal negative electrode being an element farthest to the left and positive electrode an element farthest to the right (excluding noble gases).
pa5tabear
I keep hearing about new and more efficient batteries.

Is there a hard limit on the amount of energy that could be extracted from a stored chemical energy source?

Obviously the absolute maximum amount of energy would be given by E = mc^2, but I think that would be far beyond any realistic limit. Is this true?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
One way of looking at the problem: in chemical batteries you need two half cells for a full redox process to take place. It almost always means several atoms per each electron exchanged. In the best case I can think of - hydrogen/oxygen fuel cell - it is a single atom of hydrogen and half an atom of oxygen, so about 7 amu per electron.

So far it is about charge, not about amount of energy, if you are looking at the amount of energy solely, you can browse tables of standard enthalpies for chemical reactions.

Borek said:
One way of looking at the problem: in chemical batteries you need two half cells for a full redox process to take place. It almost always means several atoms per each electron exchanged. In the best case I can think of - hydrogen/oxygen fuel cell - it is a single atom of hydrogen and half an atom of oxygen, so about 7 amu per electron.

So far it is about charge, not about amount of energy, if you are looking at the amount of energy solely, you can browse tables of standard enthalpies for chemical reactions.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of it in this simple a manner.

Do you know what the current most efficient energy storage methods are (in terms of mass efficiency)?

Lithium-ion batteries.

Borek said:
Lithium-ion batteries.

Do you know why Lithium is the metal of choice?

I'd guess that since it's the smallest alkali metal, it can provide greater energy density than, say, a Sodium-ion battery. Also I'm assuming it's abundant enought that supply is not a significant roadblock.

Are there potential "better" choices?

pa5tabear said:
I'd guess that since it's the smallest alkali metal, it can provide greater energy density than, say, a Sodium-ion battery. Also I'm assuming it's abundant enought that supply is not a significant roadblock.

I would guess you are right about the first part. When it comes to abundance and availability - yes, there is a lot if lithium on Earth, but it is dispersed, with not many minerals being a commercially viable sources. So the situation is not as good as we would like it to be.

Are there potential "better" choices?

None that I am aware of, but then I don't follow the developments in the battery electrochemistry, so it doesn't mean much.

The theoretical limit of batteries is more or less determined by the first and second laws of thermodynamics. That is, the relationship between the change in gibbs free energy for each half cell reaction and the molecular weight of the active species involved in the reaction.

To understand these relationships more simply, just look at the periodic table. In a nutshell, you want your negative electrode to be an element farthest to the left (for greatest activity) and the positive material to be an element farthest from the right (except for noble gases). And you want both materials to as closest to the top (least density). To see this more clearly, look at a Standard Reaction Table (below). You can see that the greatest cell potential (and therefore energy) comes from Lithium and Fluorine. This is about as a good of a battery as you're ever going to get. But obviously, building a battery like this is a huge engineering challenge. Not only is Li metal hard to contain and work with but F is obviously gaseous and tends to react with everything.

But there's a lot more to obtaining high energy density than just active materials. Packaging, electrolytes, separators, and containment, are all factors which greatly influence a battery's energy density. As for today's technology, most people are looking at using Li-Air and Zn-Air batteries for achieving energy densities of up to ~400Wh/kg. In a nutshell, with this design you only carry the anode of the battery and let your cathode be oxygen in the air so theoretically you can cut your battery weight in half.

But as Borek stated, the "holy grail" of electrochemical energy density for practical purposes is really hydrogen fuel cells. You will never see a battery that is capable of providing the energy density of a PEMFC system for suitably large enough systems (i.e. consumer vehicles). There's a lot of companies out there that have claimed they can, including supercap makers, but so far no one has been able to demonstrate it.

sat117002_0605.gif

Related to Physical limitation on energy quantity stored in a battery?

1. What is the physical limitation on the energy quantity stored in a battery?

The physical limitation on the energy quantity stored in a battery is the amount of chemical energy that can be converted into electrical energy. This is determined by the materials used in the battery and its design, and cannot be exceeded without causing damage to the battery.

2. How does the size of a battery affect its energy storage capacity?

The size of a battery can affect its energy storage capacity because a larger battery can hold more materials, allowing for a greater chemical reaction and thus more energy storage. However, the size alone does not determine the energy storage capacity as the materials and design of the battery also play a significant role.

3. Can the physical limitation on energy storage in a battery be overcome?

No, the physical limitation on energy storage in a battery cannot be overcome. The materials and design of the battery determine its maximum energy storage capacity, and exceeding this limit can result in damage to the battery or even cause it to malfunction.

4. How does temperature affect the energy storage capacity of a battery?

Temperature can affect the energy storage capacity of a battery in two ways. First, low temperatures can decrease the battery's performance and reduce its energy storage capacity. Second, high temperatures can cause the battery to degrade faster, reducing its overall lifespan and energy storage capacity over time.

5. Is there a limit to how many times a battery can be recharged?

Yes, there is a limit to how many times a battery can be recharged. This is due to the chemical reactions that occur during charging and discharging, which can cause the materials in the battery to degrade and lose their ability to store and release energy. Eventually, the battery will reach a point where it can no longer hold a charge, and it will need to be replaced.