Physical derivation of the Sin series

In summary, Feynman discusses the electric field between two plates in a capacitor at high frequencies, using the equations of E and M to approximate it. He then takes into account the changing electric field's effect on the magnetic field and corrects it accordingly. This leads to an infinite series, the Bessel function. The speaker wonders if there is a similar way to come up with a sine expansion, using a physical situation like a harmonic oscillator. They suggest looking at higher terms of the potential to better approximate the motion, similar to a Taylor expansion. After some calculations, they come up with a series that resembles the cosine function. They question if this is correct or if they made a mistake along the way.
Storm Butler
I was reading feynman's lectures on physics and i came across the 23-2 in volume two where he is talking about a capacitor at high frequencies. He then uses the equations of E and M to come up with an approximation of the electric field between the two plates as the field oscillates at a high frequency. In order to make the approximation better he accounts for the fact that a changing electric field generates a magenetic field. then he corrects the magnetic field according to the corrected electric field, so on and so forth.

In the end he has an infinite series J[itex]_{0}[/itex] that is the bessel funciton.

I was wondering if there would be any way to come up with the sine expansion in a similar way. I was first looking at a circle with arc length [itex]\vartheta[/itex] and trying to show that the length of the chord was rSin([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) but I am not sure how to go about it. Maybe someone has some suggestion of how to do it for a more physical situation similar to how feynman did it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ive been thinking that one possible way would be looking at a harmonic oscillator. if we have a k constant of 1 and initial conditions, x(0)=1 and x'(0)=0. then we have a solution of x(t)=cos(t). so at time t=0 we have x=1, so we have the beginning of the cos expansion. i don't know how to go forward from there just yet.

I figure we will have to look at the higher terms of the potential because that way we can better approximate the motion. similar to how adding terms of higher power to a taylor expansion sort of bends the line out to curve more closely to the function in question. The potential is U=1/2kx^2 or ,in our case with k=1, U=1/2*x^2 or x^2/2!. This is exactly the next term we need for the next piece of the cos expansion. Is this mere coincidence or is it signifigant?

My last post I realize now was completely wrong. I just got excited about seeing the 1/2!x^2 term. however it also shows up if you calculate the distance traveled from the acceleration at time t=0. Perhaps this is in the right track? I'm not sure how to go on from here yet though .

Last edited:
So here's how I worked it out. After everything above, I remembered that since at t=0 the acceleration is a max so it's derivative (the jerk) is 0. Moving on to the next derivative of motion (the snap?) we find the distance traveled is the integral of the jerk or 1/4!x^4. Which is just what we are looking for! I then just continued the argument, assuming all the odd powered terms are zero due to being the derivative of some maximum quantity. Then I found the contribution of the new term to the distance. So I come up with the series 1-1/2!x^2+1/4!x^4-1/6!x^6... Which is the cos ! Does this work? Or did I go wrong somewhere?

Related to Physical derivation of the Sin series

1. What is the Sin series?

The Sin series is a mathematical series that represents the sine function, which is a fundamental trigonometric function used in mathematics and physics to describe periodic phenomena.

2. How is the Sin series derived?

The Sin series can be derived through the use of Taylor series expansion, which involves representing the sine function as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of the input variable.

3. What is the significance of the Sin series?

The Sin series is significant because it allows for the accurate approximation of the sine function, which is used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, such as signal processing, wave analysis, and celestial mechanics.

4. What is the formula for the Sin series?

The formula for the Sin series is as follows:

sin(x) = x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...

where x is the input variable and n! represents the factorial of n.

5. How is the Sin series used in real-life applications?

The Sin series is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in engineering for the analysis of oscillating systems, in physics for the study of waves and vibrations, and in navigation for the calculation of distances and angles. It is also used in digital signal processing for the compression and filtering of signals.