Physical Chemistry- Using the integrated Vant Hoff Equation with K values.

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium concentration of oxygen in fresh water at two different temperatures and the expression for the equilibrium constant, K, between oxygen in the gas phase and in solution. The speaker also mentions using the integrated Van't Hoff equation to calculate the enthalpy of dissolution and questions arise about the use of partial pressure of oxygen in the equilibrium constant expression. However, it is stated that the partial pressure does not need to be used and the speaker is advised to simply use K = [O2] in the equation.
Twickel

Homework Statement

The equilibrium concentration of oxygen in fresh water exposed to the atmosphere is given for two temperatures. At 15 degrees celcius equilib [O2]= 630μmol/L at 25 degrees celcius equiln [O2]= 517μmol/L

The expression for the equilibrium constant, K, between the oxygen in the gas phase and in solution is given by K=[O2]/PO2/atm. Where pO2 is the partial pressure of atmospheric oxygen.

I need to calculate the enthalpy of dissolution, I figured I need to use the integrated Vant hoof equation.
But how do I figure out the partial pressues of oxygen so I can calculate the equilibrium constants?

[Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial pressure of oxygen is the fraction of pressure exerted by atmospheric oxygen. And since the Partial pressure is not going to change whether the oxygen dissolves or not, you don't require the use of oxygen's partial pressure.

You may write simply, K = [O2]. Now just use Van't Hoff's Equation.

Thanks.

I do not understand why I don't have to use the partial pressure, when it is in the expression for Kp. Is this the case for any equilibrium constant involving kp=[x]/Po2/atm?

Related to Physical Chemistry- Using the integrated Vant Hoff Equation with K values.

1. What is the Vant Hoff equation and how is it used in physical chemistry?

The Vant Hoff equation is an equation used to calculate the equilibrium constant (K) of a chemical reaction at different temperatures. It relates the change in the equilibrium constant to the change in temperature using the van't Hoff factor. In physical chemistry, this equation is used to study the thermodynamics and kinetics of chemical reactions.

2. How do I calculate the K value using the Vant Hoff equation?

The Vant Hoff equation is written as ln(K2/K1) = -ΔH/R(1/T2-1/T1), where K1 and K2 are the equilibrium constants at temperatures T1 and T2 respectively, ΔH is the enthalpy change of the reaction, and R is the gas constant. To calculate the K value, you will need to know the values of ΔH, T1, and T2. Then, simply plug these values into the equation and solve for K2.

3. How is the Vant Hoff equation used to predict the effect of temperature on equilibrium constant?

The Vant Hoff equation allows us to predict how the equilibrium constant will change as the temperature changes. A positive value for ΔH indicates an endothermic reaction, meaning that the equilibrium constant will increase with increasing temperature. Conversely, a negative value for ΔH indicates an exothermic reaction, meaning that the equilibrium constant will decrease with increasing temperature.

4. What is the significance of the van't Hoff factor in the Vant Hoff equation?

The van't Hoff factor (i) takes into account the dissociation or association of solute particles in a solution. It is used to correct for deviations from ideal behavior in solutions, which can affect the calculation of the equilibrium constant. The van't Hoff factor is often determined experimentally and can vary depending on the solution's concentration and temperature.

5. Can the Vant Hoff equation be used for all chemical reactions?

The Vant Hoff equation can be used for reactions that follow the laws of thermodynamics and have a constant value for ΔH over the temperature range being studied. However, it may not be applicable to reactions with significant changes in volume or pressure, or reactions that involve changes in the number of moles of gas. In these cases, a modified version of the Vant Hoff equation may be used.