Physical Basis of Lovelock's Theorem: GR & Equivalence Principle

In summary, Lovelock's theorem formalizes arguments that go back to Hilbert. It states that the only possible equations of motion are the EFE's ie Euv = Tuv where Euv is the Einstein Tensor. This only works in 4 dimensions.
This came up in another thread.

GR more or less follows directly from Lovelock's Theorem. You simply assume the metric has a Lagrangian. Where does that leave other things like the Equivalence principle?

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say that GR follows from Lovelock's theorem. Only the field equations follow from the theorem. By the way what is the precise statement of the theorem?

martinbn said:
I wouldn't say that GR follows from Lovelock's theorem. Only the field equations follow from the theorem. By the way what is the precise statement of the theorem?

Mate you are overworking me. I had to dig up my copy of Lovelock and Rund, Tensors Differential Forms and Variational Principles. The exact statement is on page 321 but I will explain it in my own words rather than give a direct transcription.

Given any Lagrangian in the metric Tensor of the form L1 + L2 where L1 only involves the metric and up to its second derivatives (you can prove you must go at least to the second derivatives) and L2 is the interaction Lagrangian between the field and what its interacting with, then the only possible equations of motions are the EFE's ie Euv = Tuv where Euv is the Einstein Tensor. (yes I have left out the cosmological constant for simplicity and used units so there is no k in front of the stress energy tensor - it should be kTuv + λGuv).

Note that's the only assumption that went into it - no explicit equivalence principle etc. But - and this is crucial - it only works in 4 dimensions.

The question is why is the metric a dynamical variable - writing the equation of motion of a free particle in general coordinates leads of course to dt = GuvXuXv via a little calculus from dt = NuvXuXv. This means of course the metric determines the motion of particles so acts like a gravitational field - but implying it has it own Lagrangian - now that while almost smacking you in the face is an assumption. My suspicion is its the key one. But I could be wrongo:)o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)

Thanks
Bill

I would say the principle of equivalence is involved in setting the mathematical framework needed to even state Lovelock’s theorem. That is a manifold with Minkowskian metric, and Minkowski space tangent plane can be seen as an embodiment of the EP. Further, the idea that the EFE are essentially unique long predated Lovelock. His theorem simply formalizes arguments that go back to Hilbert.

Likes dextercioby, martinbn and bhobba

Related to Physical Basis of Lovelock's Theorem: GR & Equivalence Principle

1. What is Lovelock's Theorem and why is it important?

Lovelock's Theorem, also known as the Lovelock's Principle or the Principle of Equivalence, is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of gravity are equivalent to the laws of inertia. This means that there is no way to distinguish between the effects of gravity and the effects of acceleration. It is important because it serves as the basis for Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity and space-time.

2. How does General Relativity relate to Lovelock's Theorem?

General Relativity is based on the concept of spacetime curvature, which is a result of the presence of matter and energy. Lovelock's Theorem provides the mathematical framework for General Relativity, stating that the laws of gravity can be described by the curvature of spacetime. This is known as the Einstein field equations, which are the cornerstone of General Relativity.

3. What is the Equivalence Principle and how does it tie into Lovelock's Theorem?

The Equivalence Principle is a key component of Lovelock's Theorem and states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable. This means that an observer in a gravitational field cannot tell the difference between being at rest in that field or accelerating through empty space. This principle was crucial in Einstein's development of General Relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. How does Lovelock's Theorem impact our understanding of the universe?

Lovelock's Theorem has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of cosmology. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior of massive objects in space and has been crucial in predicting and explaining phenomena such as black holes and gravitational waves. It also plays a key role in our current understanding of the expanding universe and the concept of dark energy.

5. Are there any current challenges or criticisms of Lovelock's Theorem?

While Lovelock's Theorem has been widely accepted and confirmed by numerous experiments, there are still ongoing debates and challenges in certain areas, such as the unification of General Relativity with quantum mechanics. Additionally, some scientists have proposed alternative theories of gravity that deviate from Lovelock's Theorem. However, it remains a fundamental principle in physics and continues to be a crucial tool in our understanding of the universe.