Calculating Percent Acetic Acid by Weight in Vinegar: A Simple Guide

In summary, the molarity of acetic acid in vinegar is 0.208 mol/L and the percent by weight can be calculated by dividing the mass of acetic acid (13.3 g) by the total mass of the solution (78 g), resulting in a percentage of 17.0%. This can also be calculated by converting the percentage to molarity using the molar mass of acetic acid (60.05 g/mol).
Integral0
The molarity and percent by weight of the acetic acid in the vinegar. Use a value of 1.005 g/mL for the density of the vinegar.

Acetic acid molarity in vinegar = .208 mol / L

How do you calculate the Percent acetic acid by weight (using the acetic acid molarity)?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume you've got one liter of solution, to simplify things. How many moles of acetic acid is that? How many grams of acetic acid is that? How many grams of solution do you have? Should be easy to figure out from there.

RE

Well, I have .208 moles of solution and 13.3 g of Acetic acid . . . I have 78 grams of Vinegar so 13.3 / 78 = 17.0% ahh I see

thanks for the help

P.S. How do I become a chem super freak like you? :wink:

hey how did u get 13.3 g of acetic acid from 0.208 moles provided that the molar mass is 60.5 . since, moles = mass/molar mass
therefore , mass = 60.5 * 0.208 = 12.58 grams ?
i have an assignment due on this , in the next 3 hrs. please help someone ?

Molar mass is 60.05, which makes 13.3 even more difficult to understand.

Check how to convert percentage to molarity - you can solve final formula for percentage.

What is percent acetic acid by weight?

Percent acetic acid by weight is a measure of the concentration of acetic acid in a solution, expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the solution.

How is percent acetic acid by weight calculated?

Percent acetic acid by weight is calculated by dividing the weight of acetic acid in a solution by the total weight of the solution and multiplying by 100.

Why is percent acetic acid by weight important in scientific research?

Percent acetic acid by weight is important in scientific research because it allows for precise measurement and control of the concentration of acetic acid in a solution, which can greatly affect the outcome of experiments and analyses.

What is the difference between percent acetic acid by weight and percent acetic acid by volume?

The difference between percent acetic acid by weight and percent acetic acid by volume is that weight is a measure of mass, while volume is a measure of space. Percent acetic acid by weight takes into account the mass of the solution, while percent acetic acid by volume takes into account the volume of the solution.

How does the percent acetic acid by weight affect the properties of a solution?

The percent acetic acid by weight can greatly affect the properties of a solution, such as its acidity and density. Higher concentrations of acetic acid will result in a more acidic solution, while lower concentrations will result in a less acidic solution. Additionally, the weight of the solution may change depending on the concentration of acetic acid present.