POLL - geographic location of our members

In summary, the poll is to determine the global localization of all our members. The poll is global in that it includes members from all over the world. The poll is local in that it evaluates the localization of members based on their social and cultural boundaries. Male, from Canada, is one of the participants in the poll. Location: Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.

Your Geographic Location

• North America

Votes: 203 60.4%
  • Latin America

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Europe

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • Islamic world (ie N. Africa and Middle East)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Africa (excl above)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Former Soviet Union

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • East Asia (eg China/ Japan)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • South Asia (eg India)

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • South East Asia (eg Malesia/ Indonesia)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Australia and Oceania

Votes: 16 4.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Monique
From the CIA website: there are 268 nations.
Yes, what I used is the UN, and it is "Memeber Nations" sooo the cia's is probably closer to the total number.

Physics news on Phys.org
The World Factbook

For those who don't know: the CIA website has a really neat 'booklet' called the World Factbook.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Information from all the 268 nations is very accessible, with a toggle box. Information is also available for the whole globe, under 'World'.

It really nicely lists all the countries' profiles like details about Introduction, Geography, People, Government, Economy, Communications, Transportation, Military, Transnational Issues.

Population growth for the Netherlands: 0.5% World: 1.17% China: 0.6% India: 1.47% United States: 0.92%

All the data is update every year, so it is very recent information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I a bit too late ?

Male , Jordan (Middle East)

And check the Population growth in Jordan :wink:

Whoa! 2.78% What is the reason for that?

The Early Marriage .

We In Jordan mostly rely on farming , which needs too many workers , so the owner of the farm usually get as kids as he can , so that he can get "free workers" , and this half of the reason behind the high percentage .

The second reason is that some poeple try to get a male baby, so they keep getting kids until they get that male kid.

That was in the past , in the current days , things have much changed , and poeple realized that this is a serious problem , and would increase the unemployment in our country , so , this habit is no more common between poeple , but as I heard , some families in the Badia* Still have this habit , but they are very little percentage of poeple In Jordan.

*Badia : It's the Jordanian Desert

Very interesting to find out the situation behind statistics :)

I was actually trying to see if there were any deviations from the sex ratio in certain countries, but I haven't really seen any very clear signs of it. Maybe the effect is too small to measure.. I have heard that in some cultures female babies are actually killed since they place more of a burden on a family than a male baby does.

The low percentage of population growth for instance in China (
0.5%) is caused by the government restricting the number of babies a family is allowed to have: 2. A friend of mine from China comes from a family with 3 kids.. where they had to hide the pregnancy of the third child since the dad would loose his job if the government found out, who knows what else.

Re China: Isn't the 'one child' policy still in place? It is having all kinds of interesting social effects; for example, pretty much a whole generation has little or no direct experience of 'brothers' and 'sisters' (of course there are aunties and uncles, each with their own word - 'younger sister of my mother' is quite different from 'older sister of my father', for example - but few people under 30? 40? have their own).

Re deviations in sex ratio: they exist, and can be quite extreme. Not only in China, but in many Asian (and other?) countries. Female infanticide is, IIRC, not infrequent in the economically poorer parts of some countries. Prospective parents in places like South Korea can well afford sex tests and abortion is cheap and easy. There are considerable difficulties in getting reliable stats, especially in places where the authorities have strong views on what the data should say.

I just would have like to have not been "lumped in" with the US, cause that seems to happen waaaaay to often, and Canada is different then the US. You've got at least three people here from Canada, why are we counted as US?

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
I just would have like to have not been "lumped in" with the US, cause that seems to happen waaaaay to often, and Canada is different then the US. You've got at least three people here from Canada, why are we counted as US?
I am sorry? I am not sure to whom you are saying this and in reply to what?

By Monique
I have heard that in some cultures female babies are actually killed since they place more of a burden on a family than a male baby does.
That was maybe before 1500 years ago ... Get new info

Mr. Robin Parsons
You've got at least three people here from Canada, why are we counted as US?
If you want to list each country alone , then I would also complain , why Jordanians are combined with Southren africans ?
Mr. Robin Parsons , It's just that placed are close together ,that's why they are considered one untit.

I am sorry? I am not sure to whom you are saying this and in reply to what?
Author of the poll, and, see my previous posts.

Oh, I wasn't aware we were still discussing that. Please think in perspective, Robin. You are being very short-sighted.

There are people here from Romania, Finland, Belgium, UK, Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Austria, and the Netherland. And how dare I, they are ALL clumped together in Europe! I have some guts, don't I? :)

I could have divided it in Eastern, Western, Old Europe and the Scandinavian countries. But then I have to further subdivide the other catagories too.

Believe me: China and Japan are WAY more different from each other than Canada and the US. Unfortunately not many people from that area of the globe have responded, but how was I supposed to know?

So, the last time I checked: North America consists of two nations: Canada and the United States. If you like to see how many people are from US and how many from Canada, I encourage you to start another poll.

BTW, the jpg I posted on page 2 is now active!

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=77609

So, the last time I checked: North America consists of two nations: Canada and the United States.
Funny, Last time I looked, there were three, Canada, the US, and Mexico. 3 very different places.

Most of Europe has very old ties, to itself.

About as "short sited" as the land-mass that is Canada, I know some of it, as I have covered lots of it's face...roughly the equivelant of driving around all of Europe, how many times? (to cover Canda once)

Well, you are right: that is not very smart of me not to recognize that Mexico is also North-America.. but then WHY! are you complaining that you are put in one batch with people from US? You should be complaining that you are put in the same category with people from Mexico :S !?

You are also right that Canada is a very large country.. let me check: yes, it is the same size as the US and the same size as Europe (seperately). But Canada still represents a SINGLE culture (maybe two if you are VERY picky about english/french speaking parts) but in the Netherlands there are also two regions which speak different languages and the same for Belgium.

Size does not matter, Robin. Europe is made up of all small nations. You are true in that too, Europe has strong ties: to ITSELF. Every country has been isolated from the others by different currencies and different languages.

Let me ask you this: have you ever traveled to Europe Robin? Which countries have you been to?

And please could you explain to me why you think Canada is so different from the US? Both are countries with a relatively short history and are made up of immigrants.

Well, I just checked my geography book, the page where the world is devided in different social catagories, based on cultural boundaries.

It actually indicates that Mexico fall is the category Latin America. Be carefull! I didn't say category 1: North America category 2: South America. I said category 1: North America, category 2: Latin America.. so I was right :)

For support: http://www.adobe.com/support/images/world.gif

This webpage is very intesting: it shows the internet usage of the world by countries. It is performed by a Dutch universisty, in 2002.

http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/history/ivh/chap5.htm

Originally asserted by Monique
(SNIP) You are also right that Canada is a very large country.. let me check: yes, it is the same size as the US and the same size as Europe (SNoP)
Try again perhaps, same size as the US??, or Europe??, Canada?? are we talking the same thing here??

You said:
roughly the equivelant of driving around all of Europe, how many times? (to cover Canda once)
The surface area of US, Canada, Europe are equal: all are about 10,000,000 sq km each. From the CIA website.

I guess Russia would be the largest country in the world, with 17,000,000 sq km

Last edited:
Well, first of all:
I am a male, born in Paris, Syrian in nationality, and living in Amman (The capital of Jordan, it is somewhere in the Middle East since i know lot of people wouldn't know where it is).

Monique, wouldn't it be easier if you simply put like Time Zones or something to avoid this problem ?

About the number of countries in the world, i guess there is no right number, since some sources will consider some countries as independent countries, while other would consider them part of another country.

:) Nice try Staii, but do you know how many timezones there are? 25! It works pretty straight forward on the American continent.. its a mess in Azia and the Pacific. http://www.ranchseeker.com/vskin/timezones.gif And do you know which time zone you are in? Most people don't.

[austin powers]
New England Man of Mystery. Yeah baby!
[/austin powers]

The surface area of US, Canada, Europe are equal: all are about 10,000,000 sq km each. From the CIA website.

I guess Russia would be the largest country in the world, with 17,000,000 sq km

Ahem this is what I stated,
Originally posted by MRP
About as "short sited" as the land-mass that is Canada, I know some of it, as I have covered lots of it's face...roughly the equivelant of driving around all of Europe, how many times? (to cover Canda once)
And this is how you put my statement...
quotation of MRP by Monique
roughly the equivelant of driving around all of Europe, how many times? (to cover Canda once)

From that you seem to get me saying, (your quotation of me that I placed in blue) which you've provided NO link for?? Hummmm Canada is about ~7000 kms wide, 1000 Kms to 2000++ Kms deep Second largest country in the world?? please show me, link..

male, Belgium, Flemish. Leuk.

My early years were spent on the iceworld of Pluto, much of the time taken postulating on the existence of a sixth vowel. From there I moved to Jupiter's fifth moon- Io, where I joined a group of shape-changing sentinet robots known as the Transformers before leaving them to join synth group Sigue Sigue Sputnik whom with I sung backing vocals on the chart hit 'love missle'. Disillusioned with the recording industry I left Sigue Sigue Sputnik and moved to the town of Reading in Berkshire where I reside in my castle.

Last edited:
hi,

I'm one of those pompous, facist, overbearing, obnoxious americans I keep hearing about I reside in California, USA

A greeting to the world:

bonjour!
Saluti!
Guten tag!
hola!
Alla w'alla m'a sallekam!(sp?)
konnichi wa!
ni hao! (edited for content)
Jambo!
gegroet!
bunã!
god dag!
jó reggelt!
dag!
god morgen!
hallo!

And of course,

G'day mates!

Last edited:
Murrieta(Southern California), California
Yeah... sure.

nihow!

[pedantic] The simplified chinese romanisation of Hello is Ni Hao![/pedantic]

Originally posted by FZ+
[pedantic] The simplified chinese romanisation of Hello is Ni Hao![/pedantic]

eh- nobody's perfect

I also know I didn't cover mandarin, but everyone got the point:wink:

does this help?

Started at this site
http://www.worldpress.org/map.htm

Map of EU ~50° E/W and 40° to 66°
http://www.worldpress.org/maps/europe.htm

Map of NA ~80° E/W and More N/S 40° to top
http://www.worldpress.org/maps/north_america.htm

I think you can find that Canada is a little bit bigger than all of the EU, and bigger, in land mass, then the US.

You're the only Canadian I know who cares about being compared to americans. It's like me being offended as a californian about being compared to a texan

wait!- you're not from montreal are you ?that would explain a lot

Originally posted by Zantra
wait!- you're not from montreal are you ?that would explain a lot

What are you talking about?

does this help?

Started at this site
http://www.worldpress.org/map.htm

Map of EU ~50° E/W and 40° to 66°
http://www.worldpress.org/maps/europe.htm

Map of NA ~80° E/W and More N/S 40° to top
http://www.worldpress.org/maps/north_america.htm

I think you can find that Canada is a little bit bigger than all of the EU, and bigger, in land mass, then the US.
haha (to the Montreal comment), well, here we go. First of all, why is Greenland part of the North America in your third map? Doesn't it belong to Denmark and thus Europe?? And it also depends on the map you look at whether Russia belongs to Europe or Asia.

Anyway, you say that I didn't provide link to the landmasses.. I did quote my source: the CIA website.

Canada:
total: 9,976,140 sq km
land: 9,220,970 sq km
water: 755,170 sq km

United States:
total: 9,629,091 sq km
land: 9,158,960 sq km
water: 470,131 sq km
note: includes only the 50 states and District of Columbia

For Europe, see: http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/contnent.htm
Europe - (9,938,000 sq km)

So regarding your: "I think you can find that Canada is a little bit bigger than all of the EU, and bigger, in land mass, then the US" We have established the US and Canada have the same size.. the US could even be bigger since not all areas were included.

http://www.photius.com/wfb1999/rankings/total_land_area_0.html
Is a nice website which lists all the countries in the world, sorted on size.

Last edited:
Zantra, goededag! Good that you see the humor in it. Pelastration, wat een moeilijke naam, maar leuk dat jij er ook bij bent!

And Mr. Robin, in case you're unsure why I posted the surface areas. I noticed you mistakingly thought that traveling through Canada once, equals traveling through Europe several times around. The reason might lie in the fact that Europe lies in the middle of a geographic map, so the grid is very small. Canada lies in the upper left where the grid is much larger.

From that you seem to get me saying, (your quotation of me that I placed in blue) which you've provided NO link for?? Hummmm Canada is about ~7000 kms wide, 1000 Kms to 2000++ Kms deep Second largest country in the world?? please show me, link..
I'm not sure what you meant here, but Canada is the 4th largest country in the world.

1 Russia 16,995,800.00
2 Antarctica 14,000,000.00
3 China 9,326,410.00
4 Canada 9,220,970.00

BTW, that information also came from the CIA worldfactbook, last updated: 1 aug 2003
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Just in case you are going to make a point that Canada IS much bigger than the US: the landmass is only 0,67% larger.

Originally posted by iansmith
What are you talking about?

de rien. j'ai ecouter les gens qui habiter au montreal n'aimez pas des americans qui ne peux pas parler quebecquios;). Ne s'inquieter pas- j'ai quelques amis canadienne- j'ai ne au detoit, et allons au windsor beaucoup.

Vraiment, j'ai rirez a misseur parsons seulement;)