Combovers; how far down is too far down?

• Thread starter BoulderHead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centered around the topic of baldness and various hairstyles that people use to conceal or embrace it. There was discussion about the mental processes behind comb overs and the reasons why some people choose to shave their heads. Some questions were posed about the length and placement of a comb over and the possibility of using hair restoration methods. The conversation also touched on the idea of baldness being humbling and the acceptance of one's fate. The topic of old people listening to modern music was briefly mentioned. The conversation ended with a question about the correlation between hair length and baldness in older men.
BoulderHead
I hope nobody is too offended by this, but here goes;

I saw a really old buzzard nearly my age in a coffee shop about two years ago. The part in his hair began at the top of the right ear and the 10-inch long strip was combed over the top of his bald head. It wasn't enough to do any real good, in fact I think it only drew attention to his baldness. I find the mental processes behind such a unique and queer looking hairstyle to be at least as fascinating as the hairdo itself and wonder why some people do it. The baseball cap trick isn't much better, but I still think it's an improvement. Men with bald tops and pony tails put both to shame, imho.
Another thing, all of the young men I've seen who were balding prematurely chose to shave their heads rather than do a comb over, assuming they did anything at all, why?

Check this out;
http://www.combovers.co.uk/gallery2/1a.jpg [Broken]

Some questions;

1. What goes through an individual's mind while practicing this 'art'?

2. Exactly how far down the side of the head can the part be made without inviting stares?

3. If the hair in your ear is long enough, should it be combed over too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree it's a little strange seeing comb overs. I have always thought if I was going to go bald I'd get my head buzzed. I think it looks better buzzed than bald and some hair. It makes me think they accept their fate.

BoulderHead are you going bald?

Originally posted by BoulderHead
[B
3. If the hair in your ear is long enough, should it be combed over too? [/B]

at least one can try...
what about the nose?

A funny example of how people can rationalize away anything (like looking worse) in order to resist change (not accepting a receding hairline). Hair loss is usually a slow process...so little by little the length of the combover grows until it reaches outrageous proportions.

That's my hypothesis, anyway.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
BoulderHead are you going bald?
Well, let's just say I use a #2 comb on a Barber's Clipper to keep the entire dome trimmed.

I like your hypothesis, Phobos.

I'm looking around to see if anyone grows one sideburn long, then combs this over too.

I'm with Greg. I'd much rather see a buzz job than a combover. Bald is sexy. (except on Telly Savalis - yecht! )

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I like your hypothesis, Phobos.

I have a side-part...guess I'm in the danger zone already.

Originally posted by Phobos
I have a side-part...guess I'm in the danger zone already.
You may be a perfect candidate for answering a couple of questions, if you care to, that is;

1) Did your side-part begin where it is now or did it start out higher up?

2) Do you feel that it will fall closer and closer to ear level, or is it likely to stay at the present level?

3) I have heard of so many things that could be taken to restore hair (propecia, and I forget the others) and I wonder if they work, any idea? Maybe these things just cost too much, but I'm certain I have read actor Bruce Willis saying that going bald was very humbling, and you would think that he would have had the money to try anything and everything available.

I don't know about combing over ear-hair, but i wonder if bald people with big bushy eyebrows may get some ideas from this thread as well. Old people with baseball caps is wrong, they are much better off with cloth flat-caps (eg in Last of the Summer Wine) because that is more respective of their times. Its like old people listenin to pop music... lol

Originally posted by jimmy p
I don't know about combing over ear-hair, but i wonder if bald people with big bushy eyebrows may get some ideas from this thread as well. Old people with baseball caps is wrong, they are much better off with cloth flat-caps (eg in Last of the Summer Wine) because that is more respective of their times. Its like old people listenin to pop music... lol
Granted, seeing a 70 y/o listening to Guns and Roses or Catatonia might seem a little strange, but I see no reason why appreciation of any kind of music should be relagated to a certain age group. I know a lot of teenagers who like classical music as well as old Doors and Pink Floyd stuff. Music is music. If you like it, listen to it!

Last edited:
i suppose you are right. The difference i suppose nowadays is that kids today have a wider variety to listen to than old peeps so can choose what they like whereas old people had limited things to listen to. Anyway back to hair questions. I've also noticed that old men with long hair (eg throwbacks from the 70's and 80's) don't seem to go bald whereas men who have always had shorter hair go bald. I am sure the men with shorter hair would have been able to keep it in better condition but are as bald as a coot around 50s-60s. Weird no? Anyone want to hazard a guess why?

1. How far down on the head should a combover be?

The placement of a combover varies depending on personal preference and hair type. Some people may prefer a lower placement near the hairline, while others may prefer a higher placement near the crown of the head. It is important to find a placement that looks natural and suits your hair type and face shape.

2. Is there a certain length that a combover should reach?

The length of a combover also varies depending on personal preference and hair type. However, it is generally recommended to keep the length of the combover no longer than the rest of the hair. This helps to maintain a more balanced and blended look.

3. Can a combover be styled with any hair type?

Yes, a combover can be styled with any hair type. However, it may be more difficult to achieve the desired look with certain hair types. Thicker hair may require more product and styling techniques to keep the combover in place, while finer hair may require less product and styling to achieve the desired look.

4. Are there any special products or tools needed to style a combover?

While there are no specific products or tools needed to style a combover, using a good quality pomade or hair wax can help to keep the hair in place and add texture. A comb or brush may also be helpful for styling and creating a smooth finish.

5. How can I prevent my combover from looking too obvious or unnatural?

To prevent a combover from looking too obvious or unnatural, it is important to choose a placement and length that looks natural and suits your hair type and face shape. You can also experiment with different styling techniques and products to achieve a more natural look. Additionally, regular trims and keeping the hair healthy can also help to maintain a natural appearance.