PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, there have been reports of a php problem causing errors related to the file_get_contents function on several different networks. This issue has been seen for two days and may be related to trouble with connectivity. However, the problem seems to have corrected itself and it is believed to be an issue with the feed being unavailable rather than an error on the user's or the server's end. Suggestions have been made to display a temporary message when the feed is unavailable.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Code:
Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution in /includes/init.php(292) : eval()'d code on line 218

Greg and/or Warren -

php has a problem. A raft of these errors have shown up on several different PC's on completely unrelated networks. Been seeing it for two days. I'm betting you know about it... anyway, you do now for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just got it on the index page. At least they were fast-loading errors on the new server. :biggrin:

disabling the rss hack until I figure it out

Warning: file_get_contents(http://feeds.feedburner.com/FeedPalooza/APOD ) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /includes/init.php(319) : eval()'d code on line 218

Warning: file_get_contents(http://feeds.feedburner.com/FeedPalooza/APOD ) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /includes/init.php(319) : eval()'d code on line 218

This and trouble with connectivity. Any one else having trouble connecting?

Last edited by a moderator:
ditto on both counts. "Feature" of today :-p .

Gokul43201,the identical problem and message here .
Started today.
What's going on?

Greg Bernhardt said:
seems to have corrected itself
Yup,It's gone.
Maybe the forum becomes "selfaware"...Bits of the artificial intelligence build from big concentration of bright minds visting this site.
:smile: :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
seems to have corrected itself
I was always pretty nervous when my network glitches fixed themselves.

turbo-1 said:
I was always pretty nervous when my network glitches fixed themselves.

The error is not on your or our end. That error is when is a feed is for whatever reason unavailable. Usually they get the feeds back online quickly.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The error is not on your or our end. That error is when is a feed is for whatever reason unavailable. Usually they get the feeds back online quickly.

Are you able to except the error, and put some sort of default "feeds are temporarily unavailable at the moment" message?

Related to PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed

What is a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed?

A PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed is an error that occurs when the PHP function "file_get_contents()" fails to retrieve the contents of a file from a specified URL or local file path. This error can occur for various reasons, such as incorrect file permissions or invalid URLs.

What causes a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed?

A PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect file or folder permissions, invalid URLs, server issues, or using the function on a file type that is not supported.

How can I troubleshoot a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed?

To troubleshoot a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed, you can start by checking the file or folder permissions to ensure they are set correctly. You can also verify that the URL is valid and that the server is functioning properly. If the error persists, you can try using a different method, such as cURL, to retrieve the file contents.

Can I prevent a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed from occurring?

While there is no guarantee to prevent a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed from occurring, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances. These include double-checking the file or folder permissions, validating the URL, implementing error handling, and using alternative methods for retrieving file contents.

Is a PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed a serious issue?

A PHP Error: File Get Contents Failed can be a serious issue if it affects the functionality of your website or application. It is essential to address the error and troubleshoot it to prevent any negative impacts on user experience or functionality.