Photovoltaics: Does a Solar Cell Need Current to Work?

In summary: This process is known as the photovoltaic effect. The solar cell produces direct current (DC) electricity, which can be used to power devices or stored in a battery. An external load is necessary for the current to flow, as the charges are separated by the electric field and do not spontaneously flow back across the junction. This is why a photovoltaic solar cell does not need to be current to work, as it is the external circuit that allows the current to flow. In summary, a photovoltaic solar cell relies on the photovoltaic effect to produce an electric current when exposed to light, and an external circuit is needed for the current to flow.
EvaristeG
Hello everyone !

I have a very basic question about phovoltaics: does a photovoltaic solar cell need to be current to work ? I mean it sounds stupid since we use solar cell to produce current and not the opposite... The fact is I do not really understand how the cell produces current, I was thinking that something like a external voltage is missing to create the current flow..

What I understood is that when you take the n-type silicon and the p-type silicon and put them together to form the pn junction a depletion zone is formed where you don't have any carrier... Due to the inbalance of the charges between the n side and the p side an electric field is formed (around 0.6-0.7 volts for Silicon)...and then ? Electrons from the n side would like to couple with the holes on the p side but they can't because of the depletion zone and therefore if you give them an external "track" they will flow through that circuit and is how current is produced ?

I don't know, I have the feeling I'm missing something..could anyone help me and explain me how it works ? I mean how you really get the current (the user could use) in the end ? Also is you need to supply the cell with power or not, which I know sounds weired but still, I'd like to know... I mean, you need to supply a photodiode don't you ? So what's the difference ?

Thank you very very much in advance for any help !
Evariste

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Photovoltaics: Does a Solar Cell Need Current to Work?

1. What is a solar cell?

A solar cell, also known as a photovoltaic cell, is a device that converts sunlight into electricity. It is made up of layers of silicon, a semiconductor material, which generate an electric field when exposed to sunlight.

2. How does a solar cell work?

A solar cell works by allowing photons, or particles of light, to knock electrons loose from the atoms in the silicon. This creates a flow of electricity, known as direct current (DC), which can then be harnessed and used to power electronic devices.

3. Does a solar cell need current to work?

Yes, a solar cell needs current to work. When sunlight hits the solar cell, it creates a flow of electrons, which is the current. This current is essential for the solar cell to generate electricity.

4. What happens when there is no sunlight?

When there is no sunlight, a solar cell will not be able to generate electricity. This is because there are no photons to knock electrons loose from the silicon atoms. However, some solar cells have the ability to store excess energy in batteries, which can be used when there is no sunlight.

5. How efficient are solar cells?

The efficiency of solar cells varies depending on the type of technology used and the amount of sunlight they receive. On average, most solar cells have an efficiency of around 15-20%, meaning they can convert 15-20% of the sunlight that hits them into usable electricity.