Photosynthetically active radiation transmission

In summary, the conversation is about building an algae scrubber for a reef tank and trying to determine the best material for transmitting "PAR" (photosynthetically active radiation). The choices are to place the lights close with a clear shield or move them further away to avoid salt spray/creep. The goal is to find a material that will transmit the highest percentage of PAR. Some suggestions are regular glass, low iron glass, and 1/8" thick acrylic. The wavelength range for PAR is between 420 and 650 nanometers, according to Table 3.1 in the book "Photosynthesis" by Hall and Rao.
salty joe
I am building an algae scrubber for a reef tank and am trying to decide what material transmitts the largest percentage of PAR. My choices are to place the lights an inch or so from the algae with a clear shield, or move the lights at least 12" away to avoid salt spray/creep. I don't know a lot of physics, but I know that light intensity drops off in a hurry with distance. So I want to get the lights close. I can't afford exotic materials, so I guess my choices for the shield are regular glass, low iron glass and acrylic probably 1/8" thick.

Can anybody point me to a link or in a direction to determine what material will transmitt the highest percentage of PAR?

Thanks,
Joe

Science news on Phys.org
What is 'PAR', exactly (e.g., the wavelength range)?

Table 3.1 in Photosynthesis (sixth edition, Hall and Rao, page 40) shows that all the various algae pigments (green, red, brown) have photosynthesis absorption maxima between about 420 and 650 nanometers (blue and red light).

Bob S

Related to Photosynthetically active radiation transmission

What is photosynthetically active radiation (PAR)?

Photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is responsible for photosynthesis in plants. It ranges from 400 to 700 nanometers and is mostly composed of visible light.

How does PAR affect plant growth and development?

PAR is essential for plant growth and development as it provides the energy needed for photosynthesis, which is the process by which plants convert light energy into chemical energy. Without PAR, plants would not be able to produce the food and nutrients they need to survive and grow.

What factors can affect PAR transmission?

The amount of PAR that reaches plants can be affected by a variety of factors, including weather conditions, atmospheric pollutants, and the amount of cloud cover. Additionally, the type of plant and its location within a canopy or ecosystem can also impact PAR transmission.

How is PAR measured?

PAR is typically measured using a device called a quantum sensor, which measures the number of photons (light particles) within the PAR range that are hitting a specific area. This measurement is expressed in units of micromoles per square meter per second (μmol/m²/s).

Why is understanding PAR transmission important?

Understanding PAR transmission is important for a variety of reasons. It can help farmers and horticulturists optimize plant growth by providing the right amount of light for photosynthesis. It also plays a crucial role in studying the effects of climate change and pollution on plant health and productivity. Additionally, PAR transmission is important for designing and optimizing artificial lighting for indoor plant growth.