Photons on a Super Cooled Area

In summary, temperature generally has little effect on a substance's ability to absorb light. The absorption of light remains mostly consistent even at extreme temperatures. Theoretically, it is possible to cool an object to a point where it absorbs all light, but this is not seen in actual materials. The idea that photons would destroy themselves upon reaching cooled electrons, leading to a complete absorption of light, is not supported by evidence. Superconductors, which are near absolute zero temperature, still reflect light. Therefore, the concept of an object becoming increasingly black as it nears absolute zero is not true.
sqljunkey
I was wondering what would happen if you shun light onto a super cooled area.

Would it mean that the photon's energy would be absorbed and would not be re-emitted? Or put otherwise, can you cool an area to a point that it would absorb all light?

Science news on Phys.org
Temperature generally has little affect on a substances ability to absorb light. The biggest jumps would probably be before/after a phase change after the temperature drops. The absorption of light for a hot piece of iron at 1500 K is very close to what it is for that piece of iron at 150 K or 15 K.

Not that when a photon is absorbed the energy is rarely emitted right back out. It almost always is partitioned into various vibrational/translational states and can then be lost through many different mechanisms.

sqljunkey said:
I was wondering what would happen if you shun light onto a super cooled area.

Would it mean that the photon's energy would be absorbed and would not be re-emitted? Or put otherwise, can you cool an area to a point that it would absorb all light?

Why do you think temperature has such an effect on reflectivity?

A solid’s band structure typically does not change dramatically as one lowers the temperature, unless the solid undergoes a structural phase transition, which is not common. This band structure is often the factor that determines the material’s optical properties.

Zz.

ZapperZ I thought maybe because of the Bose Einstein Condensate ideas the photons would destroy themselves once they reach the cooled down electrons. But objects don't turn black as they are cooled down obviously.

sqljunkey said:
ZapperZ I thought maybe because of the Bose Einstein Condensate ideas the photons would destroy themselves once they reach the cooled down electrons. But objects don't turn black as they are cooled down obviously.

Why would there be BE condensate inside the material? Even if the material become superconducting, I can still see a reflection of light off it. Otherwise, all superconductors will appear black!

You have quite a bit of explaining to do here because you are jumping to several conclusions.

Zz.

well ZapperZ, I can't really explain myself further since as you said and I found out later that no superconductors appear jet black.

Since there is no evidence for it then it all becomes silly.

I was just thinking along the lines of an object nearing Absolute Zero and it starting to gradually not letting any photons be re-emitted.

but that it is not true given the evidence.

Related to Photons on a Super Cooled Area

1. What is a super cooled area?

A super cooled area is a region that has been cooled to a temperature significantly below its freezing point, without undergoing a phase transition. This allows for unique properties and behaviors of materials within the super cooled area.

2. How are photons affected in a super cooled area?

In a super cooled area, the movement of photons is slowed down due to the lower temperature. This results in a decrease in their energy and wavelength, causing them to behave differently compared to photons in a normal environment.

3. Can photons be super cooled?

No, photons cannot be super cooled as they do not have a physical mass or temperature. They can only be affected by the temperature of their surroundings.

4. What is the significance of studying photons on a super cooled area?

Studying photons on a super cooled area can provide insights into the fundamental properties of light and its interactions with matter. It can also help us understand how photons behave in extreme environments, which could have applications in various fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications.

5. How is a super cooled area created?

A super cooled area is created by cooling a material or substance below its freezing point using various methods such as cryogenic cooling or laser cooling. The substance is then carefully isolated and insulated to maintain the low temperature and prevent it from undergoing a phase transition.