Photons hitting the metal of the bike

In summary, a new type of paint has been developed by Alsa Corporation that changes color with heat. This effect is not new, but using it on vehicles is a new application. Some individuals have had experiences with similar paints in the past, but are curious about the safety of the chemicals involved. The process works by mixing fluorescent dyes into regular paint and using UV or heat to activate the electrons in the metal, causing them to emit light and change color. This process is known as fluorescence, photoluminescence, or thermoluminescence.
jumbo400
Check this out. I’ve never seen anything like it. Says on their webpage that it actually changes with heat. I’m hoping someone in here has heard more or tried it. My car is next…… I got to have this…….

http://www.alsacorp.com//xposure_bike.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
You know this effect is not new - the application onto a vehicle is, though! :D

Bah. I had toy cars with that type of paint when I was a kid. I used to have them in my mouth and that made them change colour, don't know how smart that was concidering the possible hazards of the involved chemicals...
I for one wouldn't like to have marks after my ass on my motorcycle an hour or two after i got off... That doesn't seem too cool.

Anyway, does anyone here know how it works?

Im guessing it would work with the photons hitting the metal of the bike. Then these photons would oscilate the electrons in the metal and change its energy, ... Thats where I get stuck, probably wrong, I am wondering too how it works?

Nenad said:
Im guessing it would work with the photons hitting the metal of the bike. Then these photons would oscilate the electrons in the metal and change its energy, ... Thats where I get stuck, probably wrong, I am wondering too how it works?

Temperature change... like the tape-style thermometers

?

It's pretty simple. They mix in fluorescent dyes into the regular paint.

Electrons in certain rare Earth doped compounds get excited by the UV in sunlight into certain dopant states. They then fall back (almost immediately, unlike in glo-sticks, which have long afterglow) into the original state through a series of downward transitions. And of course, when an electron drops to a lower energy state, it emits light.

That, I believe, is what's happening.

The same activation can also be provided by phonons (heat) instead of photons (light).

Look up fluorescence, photoluminescence and thermoluminescence.

Related to Photons hitting the metal of the bike

1. How do photons interact with the metal of a bike?

Photons, which are particles of light, interact with the metal of a bike through a process called photoelectric effect. When photons hit the metal, they transfer their energy to the electrons in the metal, causing them to move and generate an electric current.

2. What happens to the photons after they hit the metal of the bike?

After hitting the metal of the bike, some of the photons are absorbed by the metal while others are reflected. The absorbed photons transfer their energy to the electrons in the metal, while the reflected photons continue to travel in the same direction.

3. How does the color of the bike affect the interaction between photons and metal?

The color of the bike does not affect the interaction between photons and metal. However, different colors may have different reflective properties, which can impact the amount of light energy absorbed by the metal.

4. Can photons cause damage to the metal of a bike?

No, photons do not cause any damage to the metal of a bike. The amount of energy transferred by the photons is very small and does not have any significant impact on the metal's structure or properties.

5. Can the speed of the bike affect the interaction between photons and metal?

The speed of the bike does not directly affect the interaction between photons and metal. However, if the bike is moving at a very high speed, the photons may experience a shift in frequency, known as the Doppler effect, which can impact their interaction with the metal.