Photons being released from fire/heat

• I
  • Thread starter victorhugo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, during the process of combustion, new bonds are formed and release energy in the form of kinetic energy to molecules. This energy is then absorbed by electrons, causing them to become excited. As they eventually return to their ground state, photons of energy are released. This process is linked to black-body radiation and is not a chain reaction of energy transfer as previously stated."
victorhugo
(correct me if I'm wrong;
When new bonds form in the process of combustion, the energy being released is given as kinetic energy to the molecules (heat) and the kinetic energy is (somehow) absorbed by electrons to reach and excited state, eventually dropping down again and releasing photons of energy.

I guess this is linked to black-body radiation, but I'm just guessing this is the process since I can't find any-body that really explains it in detail online.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a "chain reaction" of energy transfer as what you wrote implies. The chemical reaction leads to fragments or new molecules to fly off with greater kinetic energy, but the products are not in any sense in their internal ground state. There is plenty of rotational, vibrational, and electronic excitation following the reaction. It is the following relaxation of this excitation that leads to the emission of light (visible/UV in the case of electronic excitation, infrared fro vibrations).

Likes bhobba

Related to Photons being released from fire/heat

1. What are photons?

Photons are elementary particles that make up electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light. They carry energy and travel at the speed of light.

2. How are photons released from fire/heat?

When an object, such as a fire or a hot metal, is heated, the atoms and molecules in the object gain energy and become excited. This causes them to emit photons as they release the excess energy in the form of light. The hotter the object, the more energy and photons it will release.

3. Can photons be seen with the naked eye?

No, photons are too small to be seen with the naked eye. They are much smaller than the wavelengths of visible light, which is why we cannot see them directly. We can only see the effects of photons when they interact with matter, such as when they hit our eyes and create the sensation of sight.

4. What is the relationship between heat and the color of light emitted?

The color of light emitted by an object depends on its temperature. The higher the temperature, the shorter the wavelength of light emitted. This means that objects that are hotter will emit light with shorter wavelengths, which we perceive as blue or white light. Cooler objects will emit light with longer wavelengths, which we perceive as red or orange light.

5. How does the release of photons from fire/heat contribute to the greenhouse effect?

The release of photons from fire/heat contributes to the greenhouse effect by adding to the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. When photons are emitted from burning fossil fuels, they are absorbed by greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and methane, trapping heat in the atmosphere and contributing to climate change.