Photons and matter waves: The photon of quantum light: I

In summary, the photon energy of sodium light is equal to the kinetic energy of an electron moving at 3.37 * 10 ^ -19 joules per second.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

How fast must an electron move to have a Kinetic Energy equal to the photon energy of sodium light at wavelength 590 nm.

Homework Equations

photon energ E =hf

h = 6.63 * 10 ^ -34 J * s = 4.14 = 10^-15 eV *s

f = c/ lamda

c = 3 * 10^ 8 m/s

mass of an electron is 9.11 * 10 ^ -31 (kg) or 511 keV

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I solved for the energy of a photon for sodium light

E = 6.63 * 10 ^ -34 J *s * ( (3* 10 ^ 8 m/s) / 590 * 10 ^ -9 meters) = 1.989 * 10 ^ -25 Joules

Were solving for Velocity. How do I do this problem it's confusing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you're looking for the kinetic energy (and thus velocity) right? Well [tex]E_{kinetic} = \frac{{mv^2 }}{2}[/tex] and you know the energy of the photon so equate them and find the velocity.

Sorry about that I'll make my information much clearer next time. So that's the equation I use.

Last edited:
Would it be like this

[tex]
v = \frac{{\sqrt{{2E }} \div {m} }
[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, where E = hf = hc/lamda

So is that E of photon energy of soidum light the same as the kinetic energy

Check your math again. I get a different value for energy using the same numbers you gave as input.

so then it would be

It would be v = sqrt { 2 (3.37 * 10 ^ -19 joules / 8.19 * 10^ -14 joules}

m of electron in joules is 8.19 * 10 ^ -14 joules

Last edited:
Oh yea the Enery of a photon for sodium light is actually
[tex]
E = 3.371186441 \times 10^-19
[/tex]

That's what I got.

I got 2.86 * 10 ^ -3 m/s

That doesn't seem correct. Your equation for v doesn't look right, but I don't know if you are just typing in the tex code wrong. Did you really intend for the mass, m, to be in the numerator of that equation?

Also, I'm not sure where you are getting the mass of the electron in joules. If you are using SI units of joules for energy, then the electron mass should be in kg.

Wait yes, your equation for the velocity in terms of the energy changed... its divided by m.

Well my last word on this...it looks like you threw another factor of c in there somewhere. If I divide the answer I get in meters/sec by 3*10^8 m/s, then I get the answer you posted above. So your answer would be correct if it was in units of "c".

Related to Photons and matter waves: The photon of quantum light: I

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light and electromagnetic radiation. It is the smallest unit of light and has properties of both a particle and a wave.

2. How is a photon different from other particles?

Unlike other particles, photons have no mass and travel at the speed of light. They also have no electric charge and can have varying amounts of energy depending on the wavelength of light they carry.

3. What is the relationship between photons and matter waves?

Matter waves, also known as de Broglie waves, are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, including photons. This means that photons exhibit both particle and wave-like characteristics, just like other particles.

4. How are photons produced?

Photons can be produced in various ways, such as through the emission of light from an excited atom or through the acceleration of charged particles. They can also be created in high-energy processes, such as nuclear reactions or particle collisions.

5. How are photons used in modern technology?

Photons have a wide range of applications in modern technology, including in telecommunications, solar panels, and medical imaging. They are also essential in the fields of quantum computing and cryptography.