Photon Starship, energy momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy momentum conservation law to show the ratio of initial rest mass, m, to final rest mass, M, of a photon starship that starts from rest and propels itself by emitting photons in the opposite direction until it reaches a speed v. The conversation also includes a formulation that takes into account the energy and momentum of the photon and the spaceship, with the final result being m/M = sqrt[(1+v/c)/(1-v/c)]. The individual also shares their thought process and realization that considering the spaceship as a particle that has split into two helped in understanding the problem.
George231086
Hi I'm having trouble with this question and would like some kind of hint on how to proceed.

A photon starship starts from rest and propels itself by emitting photons in the direction opposite to its motion until it reaches a speed v. Use energy momentum conservation law to show that the ratio of the initial rest mass, m, to it's final rest mass M is

m/M = sqrt[(1+v/c)/(1-v/c)].

I'm not sure how to approach it, i think my formulation is wrong. I've looked at:

(Eo/c,0)=(E1/c,p)+kE3/c(1,n) where Eo is the original energy of the spaceship as measured in the initial frame, E1 the energy after and then E3 the energy of the photon. I've added a K to account for how many photons we need to get to a velocity v. However looking at this seems to give nothing. I've also used the identity E^2=E0^2+c^2p^2 to try and get something but it goes nowhere.

Essentially i know that in order to get the final rest mass i need to be in that frame and not the initial frame. I know from the initial frame the mass will be mgamma.

Overall i think my formulation is wrong and that my view of the situation is incorrect and so would like a push in the right direction.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right i think I've got it, if I've fudged it or my reasoning is wrong i'd appreciate a correction.

So I've considered it as if it was a particle which has split into two, a photon and the spaceship in motion. I've taken it from the rest frame of the initial space ship. So using energy-momentum conservation we have that:

4 momentum of spaceship1= 4 momentum of spaceship2 (in motion)+4 momentum of particle.

So (E0/c,0) = (E/c,P) + (Ep/c)(1,n).

Now P=mv=Ep/c and E0=E+Ep, so E0=E+mvc which gives E=E0-mvc.

Then E=moc^2-mvc and we have that mc^2=moc^2-mvc. After rearranging this gives
(m0/m)=1+v/c but m=(gamma)*M so multiplying by gamma we get the result.

Hopefully that's fine. I think my main problem was that i was thinking as the spaceship at the beginning as the same as the one at the end, in the sense that it's rest mass should be the same. Thinking of it as a particle that has exploded seemed to help.

Related to Photon Starship, energy momentum

1. What is a Photon Starship?

A Photon Starship is a theoretical spacecraft that uses photons, or packets of light energy, as its main source of propulsion. It is a hypothetical concept that has not yet been built or tested.

2. How does a Photon Starship work?

A Photon Starship would use a laser or other concentrated light source to propel itself forward. The photons emitted from the light source would exert a force on the spacecraft, causing it to accelerate.

3. What is energy momentum in relation to a Photon Starship?

Energy momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion and energy of a system. In the case of a Photon Starship, it refers to the rate at which photons are being emitted from the light source and the resulting momentum of the spacecraft.

4. What are the potential applications of a Photon Starship?

If a Photon Starship were to be successfully built and tested, it could potentially revolutionize space travel by allowing for much faster and more efficient travel through the universe. It could also have applications in long-distance communication and exploration.

5. What are the challenges in developing a Photon Starship?

The main challenge in developing a Photon Starship is finding a way to generate and control a powerful and concentrated enough light source to achieve the necessary propulsion. Other challenges include protecting the spacecraft from radiation and other hazards in space, as well as navigating and steering the ship accurately.