Photon-photon collisions and photon "decay"

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of one photon splitting into multiple lower energy photons and vice versa. It is possible to make Feynman diagrams for these processes by interacting with virtual electron/positrons. The golden rule for decays can be used for the splitting process, but it is necessary to consider both gamma -> gamma gamma and gamma -> gamma gamma gamma diagrams. However, the cross section for these processes is very small. There is also ongoing research on the possibility of directly observing photon-photon scattering at the Large Hadron Collider. Additionally, there is a related process called Delbrück scattering, which has not been observed yet but is expected to exist according to QED.
maka89
Hello.

I want to play around with the process of one photon splitting into more lower energy photons and vice versa.

As I understand it one can quite easily make a Feynman diagram of a photon splitting into two lower energy photons by interacting with virtual electron/positrons. And also the reverse diagram is possible.

Questions:
- Once after getting the Feynman amplitudes for the splitting process, can one use the golden rule for Decays in a straight forward manner as one could for weak decays?

- Which diagrams are more dominant? Is it sufficient to just use gamma -> gamma gamma, or is it necessary to for instance also include gamma -> gamma gamma gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
maka89 said:
As I understand it one can quite easily make a Feynman diagram of a photon splitting into two lower energy photons by interacting with virtual electron/positrons. And also the reverse diagram is possible.
Yes, but it won't happen in vacuum, all the amplitudes add to zero.
I don't find the reference I was looking for, but here one that needs to introduce violations of Lorentz invariance for the process: arXiv:hep-ph/0212382

Okay, thanks =)
Are there any other similar processes that allow for this kind of phenomenon(photons splitting or merging). I saw a paper on gamma -> 3xgamma, but that was in a strong magnetic field. How about 2xgamma -> 3xgamma ?

That might work (but odd<->even tends to be tricky as far as I know).
2 photons -> 2 photons or 4 photons certainly works, but the cross-section is really tiny.

Odd -> even (and vice versa) will never work. (proven by Wendell Furry)

Momentum-energy conservation strongly constrains what processes are allowed.

One quote from the reference in my previous post:
"The whole process appears as two photons ricocheting off each other, but it has only been observed indirectly by its effect on the magnetic moments of the electron and muon."

but a new analysis in Physical Review Letters shows that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN could detect around 20 photon-photon events per year.
I didn't see this analysis, but to separate 20 events per year from background you need an extremely clean signature. Like particles in the TeV-range, and I would be surprised if they expect their production.

As far as I know, Delbrück scattering has not been observed yet, but there's nothing in principle against it. To the contrary, since it's a QED process, I'd expect it to really exist and even the prediction of the cross section should be quantitatively correct.

Related to Photon-photon collisions and photon "decay"

1. What are photon-photon collisions?

Photon-photon collisions occur when two photons, which are particles of light, interact with each other. This can happen when high-energy photons collide with each other, resulting in the production of new particles.

2. How do photon-photon collisions happen?

Photon-photon collisions can happen in several ways. One way is through the interaction of high-energy photons in a particle accelerator, such as the Large Hadron Collider. Another way is through the use of high-powered lasers, where photons are focused and collide with each other.

3. What is the significance of photon-photon collisions in physics?

Photon-photon collisions are significant in physics because they provide a way to study the fundamental interactions of particles and the laws of physics. They also help scientists understand the properties of particles and their behavior at high energies.

4. Can photons decay?

According to current theories, photons do not decay. This is because they are considered to be fundamental particles and do not have any internal structure or subcomponents that could break down. However, some theories suggest that in certain extreme conditions, photons may decay into other particles.

5. How are photon-photon collisions studied in experiments?

Scientists study photon-photon collisions through experiments that involve high-energy particle accelerators or high-powered lasers. These experiments allow for the creation and observation of the particles produced from the collisions, providing insight into the fundamental interactions of particles and the laws of physics.