Photon Mass: Particles or Waves?

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of particles being interpreted as waves and vice versa, and the concept of volume and mass in relation to particles. It was mentioned that photons are always regarded as waves, but could also be interpreted as particles. The conversation also touched on the idea of electrons being modeled as points, but recent experiments have not shown any evidence to change this view. There is no strict connection between mass and volume, and the concept of a volume for a particle like a photon does not necessarily mean it has mass. The conversation also highlighted the importance of having proper evidence and citations when making claims.
Andrew Aidan
What I have been taught in high school physics says that all particles can be interpreted as waves, and all waves as particles. By definition, particles have volume, and therefore must have mass (in a physical sense). Photons are always regarded as waves, but therefore could always be interpreted as particles. Because they're particles, wouldn't that mean that they have volume, and therefore mass? or do photons behave differently than other particles/waves?

Science news on Phys.org
Why do you assume that anything with a volume has a mass? What is the mass of 1m3 of vacuum?

Andrew Aidan said:
What I have been taught in high school physics says that all particles can be interpreted as waves
true

Andrew Aidan said:
and all waves as particles.
Less-true, but sure.

Andrew Aidan said:
By definition, particles have volume, and therefore must have mass (in a physical sense).
No. Nothing about the definition of a particle requires it to have volume in any concrete (or exclusive) sense. Generally electrons (for example) are modeled as points, and the realization that they seem to have finite size is a fairly recent one.
Furthermore, even if something has a volume, why must it have mass?

Andrew Aidan said:
Photons are always regarded as waves
Photons are by definition the particle quanta of electromagnetic radiation; i.e. the counterpoint to the electromagnetic wave.

Andrew Aidan said:
Because they're particles, wouldn't that mean that they have volume, and therefore mass? or do photons behave differently than other particles/waves?
Photons and gluons are massless particles (the only ones we know of); and if there is a graviton, it is expected to be massless as-well.

The best way of thinking about it that I've seen is as follows. Light is an electromagnetic wave that happens to interact and transfer energy in discrete quanta called Photons.

Thanks, zhermes. I just always assumed that a physical body with volume had to contain mass, otherwise it wouldn't be considered a physical body but a lack thereof. I see my error now. But I have one more question, since we always saw electrons as points until recently, wouldn't the same realization be possible with photons? I just don't understand how a physical body can have volume but no mass.

Andrew Aidan said:
But I have one more question, since we always saw electrons as points until recently,

Whoa! Back off a bit. Where is this "until recently" part? What did we saw?

In fact, the latest experimental evidence in trying to find the electric dipole distribution of the electron saw NOTHING to change that view of a point particle with no internal structure!

In this forum, you cannot throw off statements like that without giving ample citations to back up such claims!

Zz.

But zhermes said:

Generally electrons (for example) are modeled as points, and the realization that they seem to have finite size is a fairly recent one.

I didn't make the original claim, I was basing my question off of a claim made by another user.

ZapperZ said:
In fact, the latest experimental evidence in trying to find the electric dipole distribution of the electron saw NOTHING to change that view of a point particle with no internal structure!
I was indeed mistaken about the most up-to-date experiments; but at the same time it seems there are always going to be strong lower limits on the electron radius---based on the de broglie wavelength and the schwarzschild radius (significantly larger than the Planck-length, so it should still apply). Also, if the electron were truly a point-particle wouldn't the Abraham–Lorentz force be divergent?

But back to the overall point: there is no strict (or at least known) connection between mass and volume. There are possible theoretical lower limits to the density of a particle, but nothing really known. Also, something like a photon does have in connection with it the concept of occupying a certain region of spacetime, and thus some vague concept of a volume---while I don't think any specific definition could be made---and yet no mass.

zhermes said:
... it seems there are always going to be strong lower limits on the electron radius---based on the de broglie wavelength and the schwarzschild radius (significantly larger than the Planck-length...)

Let [itex]R_S[/itex] be the electron's Schwartzchild radius, [itex]G[/itex] the universal gravitational constant, [itex]l_P[/itex] the Plank length, [itex]m_P[/itex] the Plank mass, [itex]{m}_e [/itex] the electron's mass, and [itex]\lambda_C =
\frac{{h}}{{m}_e c} = \frac{l_P m_p}{m_e}[/itex] its Compton wavelength.

Then,
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray}
R_S &=& 2 {G} \frac{{m}_e}{c^2} \nonumber \\
&=& 2 ({\frac{l_P}{{m}_P}}c^2)
\frac{\frac{l_P m_p}{λ_C}}{c^2} \nonumber \\
&=& 2(l_P)^2/\lambda_C
\end{eqnarray}
[/itex]

An electron's compton wavelength is quite a bit larger than the Plank length. Therefore, this pretty relationship shows that the electron's Schwartzchild radius is not larger then the Plank length, but vastly smaller.

Last edited:
Andrew Aidan said:
But zhermes said:
I didn't make the original claim, I was basing my question off of a claim made by another user.

You should be very concerned that you base your entire knowledge simply on what you read on here, AND, without any kind of support to validate such a thing.

zhermes said:
I was indeed mistaken about the most up-to-date experiments; but at the same time it seems there are always going to be strong lower limits on the electron radius---based on the de broglie wavelength and the schwarzschild radius (significantly larger than the Planck-length, so it should still apply). Also, if the electron were truly a point-particle wouldn't the Abraham–Lorentz force be divergent?

Then submit a rebuttal to a peer-reviewed journal and get it published FIRST. Till you do that, and till we have other experimental evidence to the contrary, you have less of a leg to stand on to make such claims contrary to QED.

Zz.

Wow. Someone's cranky.
ZapperZ said:
You should be very concerned that you base your entire knowledge simply on what you read on here, AND, without any kind of support to validate such a thing.
Clearly Andrew's entire world view is shaped entirely and exclusively by what he reads from forum posts.
@Andrew, my apologies for misleading you.

ZapperZ said:
Then submit a rebuttal to a peer-reviewed journal and get it published FIRST. Till you do that, and till we have other experimental evidence to the contrary, you have less of a leg to stand on to make such claims contrary to QED.
Yeah, I was clearly suggesting that my knowledge is publishable, irrefutable and a necessary improvement to QED. That's why I said something 'seemed' a certain way, and asked a question about another thing.

For the record, in Eric Poisson's reviews in Living Reviews of Relativity, and CQGra
(see: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011LRR...14...7P), he points out the divergence of the Abraham-Lorentz force acting on a particle in curved space-time, specifically stating
the common approach, and the one we shall pursue here, has been to abandon the fiction of a point particle in favor of considering an asymptotically small body

The discussion is entirely out of my pay-grade (and even more so, my understanding), so I have no idea how it applies; but I thought I recalled the concept from a class at some point, and it seems the idea is published.

I think Robert Wald makes a similar point in his 'General Relativity'.

Until there is a quantum theory of gravity such points are purely academic; but at least the string theories I've heard of, again don't allow point particles.

ZzZzZz

Clearly Andrew's entire world view is shaped entirely and exclusively by what he reads from forum posts.
@Andrew, my apologies for misleading you.

That's ok, I tend to believe things when other people know what they're talking about and I have less of an understanding. My world view isn't shaped entirely by that, but when I don't understand it I tend to be more likely to believe others. I'm sorry if I upset anyone, that wasn't my intention.

Related to Photon Mass: Particles or Waves?

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that is the basic unit of light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It has zero rest mass and travels through space at the speed of light.

2. Does a photon have mass?

No, a photon does not have mass in the traditional sense. It has zero rest mass, meaning it does not have a physical mass at rest. However, it does have energy and momentum, which can be thought of as a form of "effective" mass.

3. Is a photon a particle or a wave?

A photon exhibits characteristics of both a particle and a wave. It behaves like a particle in some experiments, showing discrete energy levels and interactions with matter. However, it also exhibits wave-like properties, such as diffraction and interference, in other experiments.

4. Can a photon have different masses?

No, all photons have the same mass of zero. This is a fundamental property of photons and is a result of their relationship with the speed of light.

5. How is the mass of a photon related to its energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. Therefore, a higher energy photon will have a greater "effective" mass.