Photon induced magnetic effects

In summary, HB-11 is a proposed bill in various US state legislatures that would allow for the fusion of hydrogen with the boron isotope 11. The magnitude of the magnetic field generated is reportedly in the kilo Tesla range, and it is unclear how the laser is converted to this field.
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
About HB-11 tests
Hello all:

Reading about HB-11 start up and they mentioned laser induced magnetic field :

How is that created and the size of the magnetic field is in kilo Tesla range anyone heard of that

Best
Hagop

Physics news on Phys.org
I wondered what HB-11 is, so I did a Google search. Most of the results are for proposed legislation ("House Bill 11") in various US state legislatures. o_O On the second page I finally found this:

https://www.hb11.energy/

Is this what you're asking about? If not, perhaps you could give us a link.

Likes hagopbul
Can't be sure of the specifics, but I suspect it may be referring to the transverse magnetic field that makes up the electromagnetic wave that is the laser. A beam of light consists of a tranverse electric (E) and magnetic (B) field, and although the magnitude is typically described in terms of the E field, the magnitude of the B field (in a vacuumlike medium) is just E/c where c is light speed.

The intensity (power per unit area) of an electromagnetic wave is cB^2/( 2 mu), where mu is the magnetic constant and B refers to the peak amplitude of the magnetic field (not its RMS value or whatever). A 10 milliwatt laser pointer focused to a square centimeter has a peak field of like a microtesla, whereas with optical tweezers 1-watt laser can be focused to a square micron, which corresponds to about 0.1 tesla, comparable to a strong permanent magnet.

The most powerful laser in the world at the National Ignition Facility deposits something 500 terawatts onto a square millimeter target, which is like 2000 Tesla. Sounds in range of what this HB-11 is doing.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
klotza said:
A 10 milliwatt laser pointer focused to a square centimeter has a peak field of like a microtesla, whereas with optical tweezers 1-watt laser can be focused to a square micron, which corresponds to about 0.1 tesla, comparable to a strong permanent magnet.

Then it is referring to the light magnetic fields not something related to material - laser interaction?

I mean, we don't know what it's referring to because we don't know the details.

hagopbul said:
Reading about HB-11 start up and they mentioned laser induced magnetic field :

How is that created and the size of the magnetic field is in kilo Tesla range anyone heard of that

Maybe, your question might be related to Fig. 3 in the paper "Laser boron fusion reactor with picosecond petawatt block ignition": https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.09722

Likes hagopbul
It is sad when people who are responding to this thread are the ones doing and searching for the background sources for the OP. You guys are simply guessing what the OP meant, when the burden of showing the sources should have been on the OP.

Do not encourage laziness!

Zz.

Likes hagopbul, Vanadium 50 and Lord Jestocost
In principle, you are completely right. However, there was no guessing involved as I know that HB11 stands for fusion of hydrogen with the boron Isotope 11 - a candidate for aneutronic fusion.

ZapperZ said:
You guys are simply guessing what the OP meant, when the burden of showing the sources should have been on the OP.

Part of the issue is that he started two threads on this, and some of the information is in the other thread.

That's not the entire issue, of course, but it's part of it for sure.

Guys I couldn't find any thing on the internet regarding what methods they are using to create such a magnetic field , that why I asked about it here it was unclear for me , the amount of the magnetic field generated is really large

I always come to here when it is difficult to find it in the internet

Even with paper that thankfully provided by LJ there is no indication of how the laser is converted to magnetic field.

Last edited:

Related to Photon induced magnetic effects

1. What are photon induced magnetic effects?

Photon induced magnetic effects refer to the phenomenon where photons, which are particles of light, can interact with magnetic materials and induce magnetic properties or changes in the material.

2. How do photons interact with magnetic materials?

Photons interact with magnetic materials through the electromagnetic force. When a photon enters a magnetic material, it can interact with the electrons in the material, causing them to align their spins and create a magnetic moment.

3. What are some examples of photon induced magnetic effects?

Some examples of photon induced magnetic effects include the magneto-optical Kerr effect, where the polarization of light is affected by a magnetic field, and the Faraday effect, where the direction of light is rotated by a magnetic field.

4. What are the applications of photon induced magnetic effects?

Photon induced magnetic effects have many applications in fields such as data storage, sensing, and imaging. They can also be used in quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum encryption.

5. How can photon induced magnetic effects be studied?

Photon induced magnetic effects can be studied through various experimental techniques such as magneto-optical spectroscopy, which measures the interaction between light and magnetic materials, and magnetic force microscopy, which images the magnetic properties of a material at the nanoscale.