Photon gas as medium for electromagnetic propagation

In summary, the article by Jikang Chen discusses the establishment of two dynamic equations in photon gas, which is the medium for electromagnetic waves. The author claims that the photon has a rest mass of about 10^-39 kg, but the experimental upper limit on the photon mass is much smaller at around 10^-52 kg. There is no attempt in the paper to reconcile these two numbers. Additionally, it is important to note that unpublished sources, such as the Arxiv preprint, should not be used as a reference outside of topics related to High Energy Physics and String.
Pierre007080
Hi Guys,
I came across this article by Jikang Chen and it is of importance to me to know what measure of credibility this concept holds in the general physics fraternity. I do not have the background to make sense of the mathemetics or physics cited. I would appreciate your comments.

The Relativistic Dynamics of Photon Gas Two dynamic equations are established in photon gas, which is just the carrier or medium of electromagnetic waves​
Authors: Jikang Chen

The site that the pdf article is available is :
http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0255

Physics news on Phys.org
Pierre007080 said:
Hi Guys,
I came across this article by Jikang Chen and it is of importance to me to know what measure of credibility this concept holds in the general physics fraternity. I do not have the background to make sense of the mathemetics or physics cited. I would appreciate your comments.

The Relativistic Dynamics of Photon Gas Two dynamic equations are established in photon gas, which is just the carrier or medium of electromagnetic waves​
Authors: Jikang Chen

The site that the pdf article is available is :
http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0255

Please note that we restrict the use of unpublished sources (as in Arxiv preprint) in topics outside of High Energy Physics and String. Unless you can cite the journal that this was published in, it shouldn't be used as a reference in this forum.

Zz.

Related to Photon gas as medium for electromagnetic propagation

1. What is a photon gas?

A photon gas is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a large number of photons (particles of light) in a given space. It assumes that the photons are in thermal equilibrium and interact with each other only through elastic collisions.

2. How does a photon gas act as a medium for electromagnetic propagation?

In a photon gas, the photons constantly collide and scatter off of each other, creating a wave-like behavior. This wave-like behavior is what allows for the propagation of electromagnetic radiation, as the photons transfer their energy and momentum to each other, allowing the wave to travel through the medium.

3. What are the properties of a photon gas that make it a good medium for electromagnetic propagation?

A photon gas has several properties that make it an ideal medium for electromagnetic propagation. These include its low mass (allowing for high speeds), its ability to easily interact with other particles, and its ability to maintain thermal equilibrium, which allows for a stable environment for the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

4. How is the behavior of a photon gas different from a traditional gas?

Unlike traditional gases, which are made up of atoms or molecules, a photon gas is made up of massless particles. This means that the particles can travel at the speed of light and do not experience the same types of interactions as traditional particles. Additionally, a photon gas does not have the same type of pressure as a traditional gas, as it does not have mass to exert force on its surroundings.

5. What are some practical applications of studying photon gas as a medium for electromagnetic propagation?

Studying photon gas as a medium for electromagnetic propagation can have various applications. One example is in the development of optical fibers for communication systems, where the photons travel through the fiber as a medium. Additionally, understanding the behavior of photon gas can also contribute to advancements in fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy.