Photoelectric effect and mirrors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reflection in mirrors and the role of photons and the photoelectric effect. It is explained that mirrors do not emit photoelectric effect electrons and that the reflections occur due to the conductive surface of the mirror and the migration of weakly bound electrons. The conversation ends with the understanding that the excitement of electrons leads to the emission of identical photons, putting the questioner's mind at ease.
greybird
This may seem like a stupid question, but i just can't get my head around it. Basically i was wondering why a mirror refless light. Of course the simple answer suggests that it just reflexs it back (the basic laws of optics). But then i was also thinking about the photoelectric effect and was wondering why that didnt occur.

Surely the photons would hit the mirror and be absorbed causing the photoelectric effect. So i guess I am wondering why they don't get absorbed? or do they? What acctully causes reflextion on a sub atomic level?

Thanks for any response, my mind is in a state of self doubt and reality twisting.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photoelectric effect only occurs when photons of the correct energy are adsorbed by specific metals. Mirrors do not emit photoelectric effect electrons.

The reflections in mirrors occur because the surface of the mirror is a conductive surface with a electron gas type material. There are many weakly bound electrons which are free to migrate due the electromagnetic energy of the incident photons. The currents generated by the photons essentially result in emitted photons which are identical to the incident photons.

Thanks, i knew it had to have something to do with the photons exciting the electrons and in turn a photon being emmited - hense the fact i had my mind set on the photoelectric effect.

My mind is at rest now :)

Related to Photoelectric effect and mirrors

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency.

2. How does the photoelectric effect relate to mirrors?

The photoelectric effect can occur in mirrors if they are made of a material that can emit electrons when exposed to light. This is often used in devices such as photomultiplier tubes and solar panels.

3. What is the threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light needed to cause the emission of electrons in the photoelectric effect. Below this frequency, no electrons will be emitted regardless of the intensity of the light.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the photoelectric effect. Instead, it is the frequency of the light that determines whether electrons will be emitted.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect is the basis for many technologies, such as solar panels, photomultiplier tubes, and photoelectric sensors. It also helped to confirm the particle nature of light and contributed to the development of quantum mechanics.