Photodynamic Inactivation of Herpes Virus

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, the chemist cured everyone in his very extended group of friends suffering from Herpes Simplex-1 with a unique method involving treatment with proflavine and 5 minutes very close to the screen of a color TV. His method was successful 100% of the time but did sometimes require several treatments (rarely)! He had a very old paper that he referred to (circa 1965) that discussed the science behind it. He was asked to stop his activities since this amounted to practicing medicine without a license, but not before he had cured possibly 20-30 people. Here is a link to a recent study with references including the reference of the 1965 paper I referred to. Very interesting.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I once worked with a brilliant chemist who cured everyone in his very extended group of friends suffering from Herpes Simplex-1. His method was successful 100% of the time but did sometimes require several treatments (rarely)! Really amazing! He used a unique method of photodynamic therapy that involved treatment with proflavine and 5 minutes very close to the screen of a color TV. He had a very old paper that he referred to (circa 1965) that discussed the science behind it. He was asked to stop his activities since this amounted to practicing medicine without a license, but not before he had cured possibly 20-30 people. Here is a link to a recent study with references including the reference of the 1965 paper I referred to. Very interesting...

http://www.photobiology.com/photobiology2000/rodica1/index.htm

Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting. I've only skimmed the paper so far -- did the chemist figure out what about the CRT exposure was important? Was it the light (if so, why from a CRT? something about the phosphurs?), or maybe low-level Cerenkov radiation, or maybe the magnetic fields from the deflection yoke?

I suppose that it could have been any of those forms of radiation but he believed that it was the light energy itself that was responsible. He originally recommended black and white TV light for 15 minutes and later recommended color TV for only 5 minutes.

I don't know what channel he recommended...

How did he determine they were cured? HSV-1 can be latent for a long time without symptoms, so just being asymptomatic for a while after treating an outbreak doesn't mean they have been entirely rid of the virus. In most cases, the symptoms of an active outbreak will go away on their own anyway, so how does he know his "treatment" was doing anything at all?

*Puts on moderator hat.* Also, note that we generally do not permit discussion on non-peer-reviewed, non-published sources here. I'm going to give this a bit of leeway for discussion because the Independent Research forum on this site really doesn't cater well to biology topics, but all reading and participating should be advised this thread could be locked at any time, and reminded that anectdotal evidence is not conclusive.

Moonbear said:
How did he determine they were cured? HSV-1 can be latent for a long time without symptoms, so just being asymptomatic for a while after treating an outbreak doesn't mean they have been entirely rid of the virus. In most cases, the symptoms of an active outbreak will go away on their own anyway, so how does he know his "treatment" was doing anything at all?

*Puts on moderator hat.* Also, note that we generally do not permit discussion on non-peer-reviewed, non-published sources here. I'm going to give this a bit of leeway for discussion because the Independent Research forum on this site really doesn't cater well to biology topics, but all reading and participating should be advised this thread could be locked at any time, and reminded that anectdotal evidence is not conclusive.

He didn't determine if they were cured at all. They all just stopped having outbreaks. Some of the people he treated remained asymptomatic for years. These were people that had several outbreaks per year who were asymptomatic for years afterward.

As for this discussion coming from non-peer reviewed sources, I will limit my further comments to the field of photodynamic treatment of HSV-1 only. There are many peer reviewed sources of information available on the subject.

chemisttree said:
He didn't determine if they were cured at all. They all just stopped having outbreaks. Some of the people he treated remained asymptomatic for years. These were people that had several outbreaks per year who were asymptomatic for years afterward.
But that is typical of the infection. Early on, outbreaks can be very frequent, and then gradually become less frequent.

As for this discussion coming from non-peer reviewed sources, I will limit my further comments to the field of photodynamic treatment of HSV-1 only. There are many peer reviewed sources of information available on the subject.

Sounds good. :smile:

Related to Photodynamic Inactivation of Herpes Virus

1. What is Photodynamic Inactivation (PDI)?

Photodynamic Inactivation (PDI) is a treatment method that uses a combination of light and a photosensitizing agent to kill viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms. It works by producing reactive oxygen species that damage the cell membrane and other essential structures of the virus, leading to its inactivation.

2. How does PDI work on the Herpes virus?

PDI works on the Herpes virus by targeting its envelope, which is essential for its survival and replication. The photosensitizing agent is activated by specific wavelengths of light, which then produces reactive oxygen species that damage the envelope of the virus, rendering it unable to infect cells.

3. What are the advantages of using PDI for treating Herpes virus?

There are several advantages of using PDI for treating Herpes virus. Firstly, it is a non-invasive treatment that does not require any drugs or chemicals to be injected into the body. Secondly, PDI can target a wide range of viruses, including drug-resistant strains, making it a versatile treatment option. Lastly, PDI has been shown to have minimal side effects and does not promote the development of drug resistance.

4. Is PDI effective against all strains of Herpes virus?

Studies have shown that PDI is effective against both HSV-1 and HSV-2, which are the two most common strains of the Herpes virus. However, the effectiveness of PDI may vary depending on the specific virus strain and the photosensitizing agent used. Further research is needed to determine the exact efficacy of PDI against different strains of Herpes virus.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of PDI for Herpes virus?

PDI is generally considered a safe treatment method with minimal side effects. However, some potential risks include skin irritation or burning if the light source is not used properly, and temporary sensitivity to light after the treatment. It is essential to consult with a healthcare professional before undergoing PDI for Herpes virus to ensure proper use and minimize any potential risks.