Photo electri question longest wave length

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where electrons are emitted from a surface illuminated by light of a certain wavelength. The stopping potential for these electrons is measured to be 0.5V. The question then asks for the longest wavelength of light that can still produce a photoelectric current on this surface. The conversation then moves on to discussing the equations and concepts involved in solving this problem.
Brown Arrow

Homework Statement

In a photoelectricc experiment,electrons are emitted from a surface illuminated by light of wavelength of 4000*(10^-10), and the stopping potential for these electron is found to be 0.5V. what is the longest wavelength of light that can illuminate this surface and still produce photoelectric current.

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

i need help to start the question because i have to clue how to start it... so could someine give me a hint on how to start it..NOT ASKING FOR ANSWER

Physics news on Phys.org
How much energy does a photon of that wavelength have.
How much energy does an electron lose going through 0.5V
= the energy the photon had left after being emitted

From this you can work out how much energy it took to emit it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect#Mathematical_description

Are you familiar with the equations written there?
If yes, simply convert frequency to wavelength (with constants multiplying it, of course) and realize that your stopping potential is their work function. If you do this properly, you will be able to 'see' how to find the longest wavelength.

If not, I'd recommend reading the article from start, or pick up any entry level book in Modern Physics (or maybe University Physics?).

i have seen some but not all... I am trying to work it out now

i see got it. thanks Sourabh N

Arrow

Related to Photo electri question longest wave length

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when light of a certain frequency is shone on it. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. What is the longest wavelength that can cause the photoelectric effect?

The longest wavelength that can cause the photoelectric effect varies for different materials, but it is typically in the infrared range. This means the wavelength can range from around 700 nanometers to several micrometers.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and energy in the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect follows the equation E = hf, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the light. This means that as the wavelength of light decreases, the energy of the photons increases.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the photoelectric effect. The number of electrons emitted is determined by the frequency and energy of the photons, not the intensity of light. However, increasing the intensity of light does increase the number of photons, which can result in more electrons being emitted.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications in modern technology. It is used in solar panels to convert light energy into electrical energy, in digital cameras to capture images, and in photocells for automatic lighting systems. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, which has greatly impacted our understanding of the physical world.