Photo Contest - Vacation (1/28-2/3)

In summary, the conversation was about the effectiveness of different types of exercise for weight loss. Some argued that high-intensity interval training (HIIT) is the most efficient for burning fat, while others believed that steady-state cardio is just as effective. It was also mentioned that a combination of both types of exercise may yield the best results. Ultimately, it was agreed that the best exercise for weight loss varies for each individual and consistency is key.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Vacation

The holidays are over, the kids are back in school... what better time than now to show us your vacation photos!

Please make sure that there is a clear indication that these are vacation photos. "Stay-cation", i.e. vacationing in your own city or hometown does not count.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
32221248150_bc5b5aae46_c.jpg

Château de Chambord, France.

Likes OmCheeto
bridgepano.jpg

Panoramic of Golden Gate Bridge.
I would have preferred to have taken it facing the other way, but the traffic kept causing the camera to abort.

Likes OmCheeto and fresh_42
Janus said:
Panoramic of Golden Gate Bridge.
I did not know that bridge was curved. (:smile:)

DennisN said:
I did not know that bridge was curved. (:smile:)
You only notice it if you walk to the midway point.

Likes DennisN
Meghan's Bay June 2015...

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 398
Likes DennisN
OK... We have two panoramic view photos here, and since I don't know how they were taken, I will need to re-emphasize one of the rules of this contest, which is that no form of photo editing or modification is allowed. I know that phones and cameras have the ability to take panoramic photos via pan-and-scan, but I consider this to be a form of photo editing. We have had contests on panoramic photos where this is allowed. But for our ordinary, regular contests, this isn't.

So to @Janus and @Dr Transport , can you please elaborate on how those photos were taken? If you used a wide-angled lens, then the photos are fine. But if you did a photo-stitching or a pan-and-scan feature on your devices, then they are not.

Zz.

San Diego
R71 777 x 522.jpg

@Janus I'm a H U G E fan of panoramic shots, I think your bridge shot is outstanding.

ZapperZ said:
OK... We have two panoramic view photos here, and since I don't know how they were taken, I will need to re-emphasize one of the rules of this contest, which is that no form of photo editing or modification is allowed. I know that phones and cameras have the ability to take panoramic photos via pan-and-scan, but I consider this to be a form of photo editing. We have had contests on panoramic photos where this is allowed. But for our ordinary, regular contests, this isn't.

So to @Janus and @Dr Transport , can you please elaborate on how those photos were taken? If you used a wide-angled lens, then the photos are fine. But if you did a photo-stitching or a pan-and-scan feature on your devices, then they are not.

Zz.
Since my photo was taken with the panoramic feature on my camera, It will have to be disqualified.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
panoramic with my iPhone...

ZapperZ said:
Vacation

The holidays are over, the kids are back in school... what better time than now to show us your vacation photos!

Please make sure that there is a clear indication that these are vacation photos. "Stay-cation", i.e. vacationing in your own city or hometown does not count.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.
378A2724-2.jpg

Key Largo diving the Speigal Grove with my husband

Likes davenn, DennisN and berkeman
ceandassoc said:
Key Largo diving the Speigal Grove with my husband

Are you able to resize this photo? It is slightly larger than the maximum size in one of its dimensions. If not, this is fine, but please keep in mind the size limit in future submissions.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Are you able to resize this photo? It is slightly larger than the maximum size in one of its dimensions. If not, this is fine, but please keep in mind the size limit in future submissions.

Zz.
[emoji4] I will certainly try. I will make sure any future photo post are the correct size. Thanks

not as glam as some of those shots

this is of my wife and I in the Hanmer Springs hot pools NW of Christchurch, New Zealand ( 29 Dec 2016)

Hanmer Springs Hot Pools.jpg

water refraction does weird things :wink:

Likes OmCheeto, DennisN and fresh_42
davenn said:
not as glam as some of those shots

this is of my wife and I in the Hanmer Springs hot pools NW of Christchurch, New Zealand ( 29 Dec 2016)

Who took the photo?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Who took the photo?

Zz.

timer on the camera :smile:

edit ... is that OK ?

davenn said:
timer on the camera :smile:

edit ... is that OK ?

Yup, your photo is fine.

Zz.

Likes davenn
upload_2017-1-31_21-0-27.jpeg

Meghan's Bay, USVI...

Likes davenn, DennisN and Rubidium_71
Greg Bernhardt said:
Any vacation or this past winter?
I interpreted it that it did not have to be a recent vacation, is that correct, @ZapperZ? My photo is more than 10 years old :). And this contest definitely needs a North Pole photo, @Greg Bernhardt... :)

Likes OmCheeto
Sorry for the crappy image, but I've only been on one "real" vacation in the last 10 years...

2017.02.01.pf.somewhat.crappy.pic.png

Monterey Bay​

Likes DennisN
bridal veil.jpg

Bridal Veil falls, Yosemite NP
Due to the drought conditions in CA, so little water was coming over that it was being carried off by the wind before it could reach the bottom.

Likes davenn, DennisN, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Dr Transport said:
Meghan's Bay, USVI...

USVI ??Ohhh the US Virgin Islands maybe ?

davenn said:
USVI ??Ohhh the US Virgin Islands maybe ?
yes...

DennisN said:
I interpreted it that it did not have to be a recent vacation, is that correct, @ZapperZ? My photo is more than 10 years old :). And this contest definitely needs a North Pole photo, @Greg Bernhardt... :)

There is no time period for the vacation. So any vacation at any time qualifies.

Zz.

Dr Transport said:
Meghan's Bay, USVI...

@Dr Transport : There's a problem with this picture. It is larger than the maximum size for the photo contest. Can you please resize it?

Zz.

Final day to submit your vacation photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Vacation". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that capture the essence of a vacation, whether it be a scenic landscape, a cultural experience, or a fun activity.

2. When is the submission deadline for the photo contest?

The submission deadline for the photo contest is February 3rd. Any entries received after this date will not be considered.

3. How many photos can I submit for the photo contest?

Each participant is allowed to submit only one photo for the contest. Any additional submissions will not be considered.

4. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography. There are no age restrictions or geographical limitations for participation.

5. How will the winners be selected for the photo contest?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges who will evaluate the entries based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The winners will be announced on February 10th.