Photo Contest - Skyscrapers (10/7-10/13)

In summary, the photo contest aims to showcase skyscrapers and inspire photographers to capture their beauty. It is open to anyone and has a limit of three submissions per participant. The photos must be original and related to the theme of skyscrapers. A panel of judges will select the winners based on creativity, originality, and technical quality, as well as adherence to the theme. Prizes may include cash, equipment, and opportunities for publication or exhibition.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Skyscrapers

This week we all will have to look up. It is on Tall Buildings, y'all! Your photo must have, as its main subject, a skyscraper or skyscrapers.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heaven knows whether or not it ever scrapes the sky, but people say it's the tallest here. . .
G0RjH.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Dan8420, davenn, OmCheeto and 1 other person
IMG_3132.JPG

Zz.

Likes OmCheeto, davenn and AlexCaledin
nice sunset skyline Zz :smile:

Likes AlexCaledin
Midtown Manhatten one morning from the bedroom window of my apartment in West New York (New Jersey) about 20 years ago when I was working in midtown. This is looking across the Hudson river.

upload_2017-10-9_23-12-54.png

Likes davenn, OmCheeto, berkeman and 1 other person
DSC01773_zpsezd7amqb.jpg

Likes doglover9754, jtbell, AlexCaledin and 1 other person
davenn said:
nice sunset skyline Zz :smile:

Gracias!

Zz.

Hmm, yes, hadn't thought of that before, you could say that for them at least - they do set off sunsets quite well, that at least, that at least.
They can be, I'm sure, an acquired taste.
And other faint praise. :oldbiggrin:

davenn said:
Where's that @Andy Resnick ?
That's from his recent Base Jumping class. You hadn't heard about his new hobby? :smile:

Likes Andy Resnick and davenn
berkeman said:
That's from his recent Base Jumping class. You hadn't heard about his new hobby? :smile:
Puh, base jumping! That's for cowards. Andy Res-Nick is obviously an alter ego of Alain Robert. :cool:

(Sorry for revealing it.)

Likes Andy Resnick and berkeman
OK skyscrapers can be photogenic, stark, dramatic, but some things they cannot be...

Here I'm trying to pretend they almost can.

2885uno.jpg

Last edited:
Likes AlexCaledin
davenn said:
Where's that @Andy Resnick ?

Downtown Cleveburg, taken from the top of the Terminal Tower. For the record, I was inside at the time :)

Likes berkeman and davenn
Andy Resnick said:
from the top of the Terminal Tower.
Is there still a public observation deck? I remember going up there when I was a kid long ago, and probably still have some pics somewhere in the closet. However, I didn't see any signs for it when was I looking around on the concourse earlier this year.

Andy Resnick said:
Downtown Cleveburg, taken from the top of the Terminal Tower.
On second thought, that would not be a good place to be learning Base Jumping...

Likes Andy Resnick and fresh_42
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

jtbell said:
Is there still a public observation deck? I remember going up there when I was a kid long ago, and probably still have some pics somewhere in the closet. However, I didn't see any signs for it when was I looking around on the concourse earlier this year.

They re-opened the observation floor a couple of years ago, but not every day- I forget what the schedule is. In addition, I believe there's an *external* balcony even higher up, not sure how to obtain access to that.

Andy Resnick said:
They re-opened the observation floor a couple of years ago, but not every day- I forget what the schedule is.
I should have done a Google search while I was there. It wouldn't have made any difference for me though. The observation deck is open Saturdays and Sundays. I was in town on Friday and Monday, and had other things happening and/or bad weather on the Sat/Sun in between. I'll keep it in mind for my next visit!

Atlanta, seen from the Skyview (Ferris wheel) next to Centennial Olympic Park at the western edge of downtown. It's too close to downtown to capture a full view, but you can see more skyscrapers reflected in the Peachtree Center's cylindrical tower at the left.

skyscrapers2.jpg

Likes berkeman

Related to Photo Contest - Skyscrapers (10/7-10/13)

1. What is the purpose of this photo contest?

The purpose of this photo contest is to showcase the beauty and grandeur of skyscrapers around the world. It also aims to encourage photographers to capture unique and creative images of these architectural wonders.

2. Who can participate in this photo contest?

This photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and loves to capture images of skyscrapers. It is not limited to professional photographers and amateurs are also welcome to participate.

3. What are the rules and guidelines for submitting photos?

The photos submitted for this contest must be original and taken by the participant. They must also be related to the theme of skyscrapers and not contain any offensive or inappropriate content. Each participant can submit a maximum of three photos and they must be in digital format.

4. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and technical quality of the photos. The judges will also take into consideration the adherence to the theme of the contest.

5. What are the prizes for this photo contest?

The prizes for this photo contest may vary, but they typically include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity for the winning photos to be featured in magazines or exhibitions. Specific details about the prizes will be announced at the end of the contest.