Photo Contest - How Heavy Are You? (8/18-8/24)

In summary, the purpose of the photo contest is to showcase weight diversity and promote body positivity. To enter, post a photo with your weight displayed and use the designated hashtag and tag the sponsor. Only one entry per person is allowed and all weights are welcome. The winner will be chosen based on creativity and originality and will be announced on the sponsor's social media pages.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
How Heavy Are You?

Well, no. I'm not interested in knowing your weight.

This week, our focus is on weight-measuring instrument. Your photo must have, as its main subject, an instrument that measures the weight of something.

Please note that this must be an instrument that has been designed and customized to measure weights (or sometime they read out mass). You can't, for example, simply show a picture of a spring, even though it can technically, with a bit of work, gives you the mass of an object hanging off it.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Your photo must have, as its main subject, an instrument that measures the weight of something.
I assume a photo of a girl / woman doesn't count ...

I am excatly 2kg heavier when wearing those Caterpillar boots!

ad345ad4_o.jpg

Attachments

• ad345ad4_o.jpg
    ad345ad4_o.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
Answer: Heavier than I ought to be.

scale---1.jpg

Attachments

• scale---1.jpg
    scale---1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 439
Likes davenn, fresh_42 and AlexCaledin
upload_2018-8-21_10-25-7.png

At seaside mall, Pattaya

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-21_10-25-7.png
    upload_2018-8-21_10-25-7.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 429
Likes AlexCaledin and fresh_42
I guess this shows I’m a real lightweight. :rolleyes:

B3E49DD6-BDAC-491C-873D-8EDB2EC88B9F.jpeg

Attachments

• B3E49DD6-BDAC-491C-873D-8EDB2EC88B9F.jpeg
    B3E49DD6-BDAC-491C-873D-8EDB2EC88B9F.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 431
Likes davenn, kuruman, OmCheeto and 1 other person
balance.scale.booger.png

Just the last 10% of my scale.
The "stick" goes on for another 800 ±whatever mm.

ps. Finally figured out why "balance scales" act the way they do, after 3 days of head scratching.
teeny tiny adorable little torques

Attachments

• balance.scale.booger.png
    balance.scale.booger.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Likes davenn
IMG_7642.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_7642.JPG
    IMG_7642.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 353
Likes Borg, AlexCaledin and fresh_42
gmax137 said:
View attachment 229728

my atmosphere needs to shed a few ounces

Can you explain how this fits into the theme? In particular is my comment in the first post:

ZapperZ said:
Please note that this must be an instrument that has been designed and customized to measure weights (or sometime they read out mass). You can't, for example, simply show a picture of a spring, even though it can technically, with a bit of work, gives you the mass of an object hanging off it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you explain

Sure, it is showing that the air or atmosphere above my head weighs the same as 31 inches of mercury, for each square inch of my head.

If you still feel it doesn't meet your criteria please delete it.

Likes AlexCaledin
gmax137 said:
Sure, it is showing that the air or atmosphere above my head weighs the same as 31 inches of mercury, for each square inch of my head.

If you still feel it doesn't meet your criteria please delete it.

While it is a device that gives you gauge pressure, it is not a device that is normally used to measure weight. So it doesn't qualify.

Zz.

actually it gives absolute pressure (the closed end of the tube is at vacuum).

But OK, I will try again next contest.

gmax137 said:
actually it gives absolute pressure (the closed end of the tube is at vacuum).

But OK, I will try again next contest.

Drats. After some minor confusion on my part, I decided that I liked your entry.

I had a similar argument at the river on Sunday, when describing my "Balance" to an acquaintance, and he claimed; "A 'balance' and a 'scale' are not the same thing".

I looked it up, and discovered that "Balances" are a subset of a group things called "Scales".
At least, according to Wiki, that is, I think; "Weighing scales (or weigh scales or scales) are devices to measure weight. Spring balances or spring scales calculate weight that is the product of mass into gravity (9.807 m/s2) on the force on a spring, whereas a balance or pair of scales using a balance beam compares masses by balancing the weight due to the mass of an object against the weight of one or more known masses."

A quick google confirmed that a similar argument happened here at PF a few years back: Scale vs. Balance

ZapperZ said:
...an instrument that measures the weight of something.

The weight of the atmosphere?

Last edited:
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to showcase the diversity of weight among individuals and to promote body positivity and self-acceptance.

2. How do I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, simply post a photo of yourself with your weight displayed in the caption or on a scale in the photo. Make sure to use the designated hashtag and tag the contest sponsor.

3. Can I submit multiple entries?

No, only one entry per person is allowed. If multiple entries are submitted, only the first one will be considered.

4. Is there a specific weight range for the contest?

No, there is no specific weight range for the contest. All weights are welcome and encouraged to participate.

5. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the contest guidelines. The sponsor will announce the winner on their social media pages and contact them directly.