Photo Contest - Go Big, Or Go Home (1/10-1/16)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Go Big, Or Go Home" and is open for submissions from January 10th to January 16th. Anyone can participate as long as they follow the rules and guidelines. Multiple photos can be submitted but each must meet the contest requirements. Winners will be chosen based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme by a panel of judges.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Go Big, Or Go Home

We are back from our short hiatus. This time, we are going BIG!

Your photos must show something that is considered to be "big". Obviously, this is a relative term, so the object or subject in question must be considered big in reference to others of its kind. For example, a buckyball is big when compared to other molecules. A bodybuilder is considered "big" when compared to an average Joe. So your photo must show clearly something that is considered big when compared to the others in the same category.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
4502641075_e881006b63_z_d.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img909/8523/IpQJKm.jpg
*grumble grumble* "Big shot..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Medicol
Welcome back Zapper, and a great theme IMO! I got to think, got to think... think big...

OMG, could that really be... gosh... yes...
16251333292_81947294a5_o.jpg

...it's the Transformers!

more power

MWipBua.jpg

Likes Medicol
2h51mb6.jpg

Likes Medicol
epenguin said:
2h51mb6.jpg
Where IS that? It's a statue of the famous end of WWII in Europe kissing in Time's Square but I haven't seen it in NYC.

Airbus A380-800 at Hong Kong International Airport.

IMG_1394_zpsdf261935.jpg

Zz.

Likes dlgoff and Medicol
phinds said:
Where IS that? It's a statue of the famous end of WWII in Europe kissing in Time's Square but I haven't seen it in NYC.

phinds when I took it it was in Civitaveccia, Italy, not sure it's permanent. I think there are several in the world.
It is discussed here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/forum-game-wheres-that-landmark.270543/page-384#post-3840045
(In my understanding that doesn't disqualify from this competition. Actually being away from home base I can't access my original and I have recovered it from the above thread, but I was not able to make as it big as I wanted.)

Last edited by a moderator:
marzena_go_big.jpg

Marzena said:
marzena_go_big.jpg
You should have waited until there was a little dingy next to it :smile:

It sure is ! BUT ... since it isn't your pic, how did you get the rest of it? I smell a rat :D

All these pictures were taken during our Nordcapp trip. Hardly surprising we were taking almost identical general view pictures in some places :)

...or go to the moon?

SaturnV.jpe

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
marcin_go_big_or_go_home.jpg

Borek said:
marcin_go_big_or_go_home.jpg

I thought they were usually big? :biggrin:

Final day to submit your photo for this contest. So go big now, or go home!

Zz.

epenguin said:
I thought they were usually big?

I was forced to resize to 800 pixels by the contest rules.

Borek said:
I was forced to resize to 800 pixels by the contest rules.

I think what he meant was that what makes this elephant bigger than the regular, standard elephant? All the submission so far have been on something that is bigger than the typical item in that set or class.

Zz.

Elephant is the largest living mammal, isn't it? And the largest living land animal.

It is a matter of "set or class" selection, and I don't feel like I am trying to stretch the rules...

Borek said:
Elephant is the largest living mammal, isn't it? And the largest living land animal.

It is a matter of "set or class" selection, and I don't feel like I am trying to stretch the rules...

Oh, I think the picture is fine. I was just explaining what I thought epenguin was asking.

Zz.

phinds said:
You should have waited until there was a little dingy next to it :)

Preferably a nice-looking dinghy, not a dingy dinghy. :olduhh:

Borek said:
Elephant is the largest living mammal, isn't it?
Cetaceans no longer count?

I wanted to make a picture of my ego, but I don't have a wide-angle camera lens :(

Bandersnatch said:
Cetaceans no longer count?

I am using "It's Alzheimer's fault" card.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of this photo contest is "Go Big, Or Go Home." We are looking for photos that showcase large and impressive subjects or scenes.

2. How long is the photo contest open for submissions?

The photo contest will be open for submissions from January 10th to January 16th.

3. Who can participate in the photo contest?

Anyone can participate in the photo contest, as long as they follow the rules and guidelines listed on the contest page.

4. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos to the contest. However, each photo must be entered separately and must meet the contest requirements.

5. How will the winners be chosen for the photo contest?

The winners will be chosen based on a combination of factors, including creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. A panel of judges will review all submissions and select the winners.