Photo Contest - A Measuring Device (1/23-1/29)

In summary, the photo contest aims to create a measuring device that can accurately measure length, width, and height. It is open to scientists, researchers, and students. The device must be original and able to measure all three dimensions. A photo and brief description must be submitted and multiple entries are not allowed. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on accuracy and functionality and will receive a cash prize of $100 and recognition on the organization's website and social media.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A Measuring Device

Pictures this week must have, as the main subject, a measuring device. This can be as simple as a ruler, a weight scale, a speedometer, all the way to an electron analyzer and the ATLAS detector at the LHC. Any device that actually gives you a quantitative value of something is a valid device.

To prevent me from chasing you and asking you to clarify the device in your photo, please include a brief description of it if it is an unusual device.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
24566975995_3cc896e051_c.jpg

(An electronic tuner)

I think it is an unusual device, but it's in your list ;).

ATLAS during the long shutdown 2013-2014, partially opened for maintenance.

ATLAS_lower_800x600.jpg

Likes jtbell and DennisN
8800 ± 25 MHz Bendix frequency meter.

Bendix Freq Meter.jpg

Likes Borek
Here's mine.. I was hoping to be able to convert it from an NTSC vectorscope to a standard scope, but I don't think that'll happen.. Oh well, it was cheap.. Circa 1964 I think?

oscilloscope.jpg

Zombie Assault Caliper

24615732745_79f7464966_c_d.jpg

Isn't that more of a precision scribe than an caliper? My Mitutoyo calipers just packed it in after 10 years (and I got them used)... I used them as scribes a whole lot

Likes nsaspook
A pycnometer, one of the most precise tools in my lab, capable of 6.5 digits of accuracy:

DSC_3196_zps9xwctvei.jpg

Likes Rx7man
A Kelvin probe. It measures the contact potential difference between the tip and the sample. If you know the work function of the tip, then you directly measure the work function of the sample.

DSCN0149_zpsq9pifjzz.jpg

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
You guys have some pretty cool gizmos!

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

marcin_measuring_device.jpg

Likes mfb

What is the objective of the photo contest?

The objective of the photo contest is to create a measuring device that can accurately measure length, width, and height.

Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to all scientists, researchers, and students who have an interest in creating a measuring device.

What are the rules for the photo contest?

The measuring device must be an original creation and must be able to measure length, width, and height. Submissions must include a photo of the device and a brief description of how it works. Multiple entries are not allowed.

How will the winner be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on the accuracy and functionality of their measuring device.

What is the prize for winning the photo contest?

The winner will receive a cash prize of $100 and will have their photo and device featured on our website and social media platforms.