Phenophthalien Test: Investigating Blood Evidence in Bathtubs

In summary, the Phenophthalien test can be used to determine if there is blood present at a crime scene, but it is not always reliable.
munky99999
The Phenophthalien(i know i can't speel) test:

This one show they have a dead body, from the desert. They test a bathtub as they think the murder and blood was there. They use the pheno-blood test often.

But if its in the bathtub.

As pheno is just a ph indicator. Couldn't a base cleaner, as most are, change the readings, or make it look like there is blood where there isn't any?

Or is this just a fancy word that they are using for the fictional show and i am just being fanatical?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am sorry but I could not understand your query fully. Are you asking this? "Can the presence of blood be determined with phenolphthalein, if the victim is in a bathtub?" Well, phenolphthalein may be a fluorescent material, and when mixed with a dried blood sample, it may cause the sample fluorescence; haemoglobin or other things in blood may combine with phenolphthalein to show a fluorescence. This is just a guess, though.

I imagined that phenolphthalein was used as an indicator, since blood is mostly slightly basic.

However, it looks like the pH of human blood is only 7.35, whereas phenolphthalein only changes color at about pH 8. So, I'm not sure how well that would work.

But, as chem_tr said, it may be some fluorescent behavior that is important, rather than the pH. I think I recall seeing detectives (on TV) using a UV lamp to detect blood, but can't remember if the surfaces were treated prior to illumination.(excitation).

Most of these tests rely on the activity of peroxidase enzymes in blood to react
with a chemical stain causing it to change color, or in the case of luminol, glow in the dark.

http://www.colorado.edu/Outreach/BSI/pdfs/for_bloodstud.pdf

well i learned something, yaay.

I never expected such a thorough explanation from Court TV, but they've done a nice job of it http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/serology/3.html?sect=21

The Kastle-Meyer Color Test uses a solution of phenolphthalein and hydrogen peroxide on a piece of filter paper, and when blood of any quantity is present, it turns pink.* However, it also turns pink in the presence of potatoes or horseradish, so care must be taken at the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Phenophthalien Test: Investigating Blood Evidence in Bathtubs

1. What is the purpose of a Phenophthalien Test?

The purpose of a Phenophthalien Test is to detect the presence of blood in a bathtub. This test is commonly used in forensic investigations to determine if a crime has been committed and to gather evidence.

2. How does a Phenophthalien Test work?

A Phenophthalien Test works by using a chemical reagent, phenophthalien, which reacts with the hemoglobin in blood to produce a pink color. This color change helps to identify the presence of blood in the bathtub.

3. What are the limitations of a Phenophthalien Test?

One limitation of a Phenophthalien Test is that it cannot differentiate between human and animal blood. It also cannot determine the age or gender of the individual the blood belongs to. Additionally, the test may produce false positives if other substances, such as bleach, are present in the bathtub.

4. How accurate is a Phenophthalien Test?

A Phenophthalien Test is generally considered to be a reliable and accurate method for detecting the presence of blood. However, the accuracy of the test can be affected by various factors, such as the amount and condition of the blood, the presence of other substances, and the skill of the person performing the test.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when performing a Phenophthalien Test?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when performing a Phenophthalien Test. This test involves working with potentially hazardous chemicals, so it is important to wear gloves and other appropriate personal protective equipment. It is also important to follow instructions carefully and dispose of any chemical waste properly.