PhD research in particle physics and cosmology - Any advice ?

In summary, the speaker is a student in particle physics and cosmology, who is finishing their master's degree in June. They are currently searching for PhD studentships in Europe or the US, but have received discouraging responses. They are currently interning in Paris and are enthusiastic about pursuing a career in theoretical physics. They are considering other options, such as doing an advanced master's degree or pursuing a PhD in theoretical particle physics. They are open to working in either cosmology or particle physics, but prefer theoretical work over experimental work.
Anne-Sylvie
Hello everyone,

I am a student in particle physics and cosmology in some Belgian university. I'll finish my master degree in June of this year.

I am searching for PhD studentships in Europa or US, but it is very difficult to get a place somewhere. I applied to some universities, I'm still waiting for answers, I already received (bad) ones. It is quite discouraging but I keep self confidence (at least I try ;)) because I'm sure I can do interesting things in theoretical physics.

I am having a four months internship in Paris in order to write my master thesis. This open my eyes on many aspects of the daily life of a physicist, and I'm more enthusiastic than ever to dive in this universe.

But I really doubt I would be able to get a studentship for fall 2012. What would you advice me ?
- Searching for another less interesting PhD ? (I really think it's a bad options but maybe you have some other argument).
- Doing an advanced master in some university in order to begin a PhD in this university ?

Are advanced masters difficult to enter in ?
What are your advice to optimize my chances to get a PhD ?

A piece of information :
I really want to work on theoretical cosmology. However, I know that doing a PhD in some fied is not choose this field for your whole carrier. So I would be very interested by doing a PhD in theoretical particle physics too. I'm quite open. But I'm clearly not an experimental person. ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do your PHD in theoretical particle physics. There are many requirements for scientists in this field.

Related to PhD research in particle physics and cosmology - Any advice ?

1. What is the difference between particle physics and cosmology?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It focuses on the smallest particles and their interactions. On the other hand, cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

2. What is the main goal of PhD research in particle physics and cosmology?

The main goal of PhD research in particle physics and cosmology is to deepen our understanding of the fundamental laws and processes that govern the behavior of the universe. This can involve studying the properties of particles, their interactions, and how they contribute to the evolution of the universe.

3. What kind of skills are required for a PhD in particle physics and cosmology?

A PhD in particle physics and cosmology requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work independently and in a team.

4. What are some potential career options after completing a PhD in particle physics and cosmology?

Graduates with a PhD in particle physics and cosmology can pursue careers in academia, research institutes, or industry. They can work as researchers, professors, data analysts, or consultants in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a PhD in particle physics and cosmology?

My advice would be to gain a solid foundation in mathematics and physics before entering a PhD program. It is also important to develop strong research skills and get involved in research projects as an undergraduate or a master's student. Networking and collaborating with other researchers in the field can also be beneficial for future opportunities.