PhD MUST be on same area as masters degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching between subfields in physics and the challenges of doing so. It is common for graduate students to switch fields, but it may be more difficult for postdocs due to the need for specialized skills. However, some professors may gradually adopt new research areas.
U.Renko
I'm still an undergraduate but I was wondering about the future and all that.
I do like love physics as a whole, but I don't think there is a subfield which I REALLY like or REALLY dislike. I also like "versatility" as a way of life.

So I was wondering: "can I move to and from subfields as I please? "

For example: Can I take an internship in astrophysics, take a master course in Statistical Mechanics and then a PhD in Mathematical physics? Or whatever other sequence, with whatever other subfields.

As a bonus: is it possible to, after PhD, make research in yet another area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Changing theme from MSc to PhD is fine. You can do it within the same school or even by applying to another school after the MSc.
Post PhD research in "yet another area" is a bit difficult. First, you need to work with people who are welling to accept the fact that you came from a different background and need sometime to catch up. In the past this was acceptable. Nowadays with the harsh competition and the urge to publish fast, it is hard to find somebody who is welling to wait until you learn the new field. Moreover, as you get older you need to get deeper into one area and you gradually lose the stamina to delve into new fields far from your own (Although you could be an exceptional person who can do it!)

I have noticed however, that some professors start to pick up new research fields gradually. But for professors it is much easier as they can put most of the learning curve load on a student or a postdoc whom they hire to work on the newly adopted research area.

Likes 1 person
I agree with Useful Nucleus.

It's common for graduate students to switch fields in my experience (in Canada). In the US, it's a lot more common to jump straight into a PhD, but even then, if you do a year or so and it's not working out, it's still possible to move to a different field - although some restrictions may apply (such as you need to be able to find someone in that other field who is willing to take you on).

I see post docs who jump fields, but usually the case is that you have someone who has a particular skill in one area that is in demands in another area. So it's not like you can arbitrarily finish a PhD in one field and then randomly apply for any other field you want for post doctoral work. It's more a case of looked at what's available at the time and what you're qualified to do.

Likes 1 person
I see
thank you very much for your answers.
I was kind of gettting worried about it.

I would say that it is not necessary for your PhD to be in the same area as your master's degree. In fact, many successful scientists have diverse backgrounds and degrees in multiple fields. It is more important to have a strong foundation in your chosen field and the ability to adapt and learn new skills.

As for moving between subfields, it is definitely possible and even encouraged in the scientific community. Many research projects and collaborations involve interdisciplinary work, so having a diverse background can be beneficial. However, it is important to have a strong base of knowledge in your chosen field before branching out into other areas.

In terms of post-PhD research, it is absolutely possible to explore new areas and make contributions in different fields. In fact, many scientific breakthroughs have been made by researchers who have ventured outside their original area of expertise. As long as you have a strong understanding of the fundamentals and the willingness to learn and adapt, you can pursue research in any area that interests you. So don't be afraid to explore and be versatile in your scientific career!

Related to PhD MUST be on same area as masters degree?

1. What is the significance of having a PhD in the same area as my master's degree?

The main reason for this requirement is to ensure that the candidate has a strong foundation and expertise in the specific field of study. It also shows the candidate's commitment and passion for the subject, which is essential for a successful PhD journey.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in a different area from my master's degree?

It is possible to pursue a PhD in a different area from your master's degree, but it may require additional coursework and research to bridge the knowledge gap. It is important to consult with your advisor and carefully consider the time and effort needed for this transition.

3. Will having a master's degree in a related field be sufficient for a PhD program?

Having a master's degree in a related field can be beneficial, but it ultimately depends on the specific program and the candidate's qualifications. Some programs may require a more specific and in-depth background in the same area, while others may consider a broader range of academic backgrounds.

4. What if I have a master's degree in a different field, but have relevant research experience in the desired PhD area?

In this case, it is important to highlight your research experience and demonstrate how it relates to the desired PhD area. It may also be helpful to take relevant coursework or complete a research project in the desired area to strengthen your application.

5. Can I switch my PhD focus to a different area after starting the program?

It is possible to switch your PhD focus to a different area, but it may require approval from your advisor and the program. This decision should be carefully considered and discussed with your advisor to ensure a smooth transition and successful completion of the program.