PhD in Belgium or Neatherlands

In summary, the speaker is a successful Masters student from the Baltic states who has studied Chinese, finno-ugric languages, and physics. They are interested in continuing their studies for a PhD in the Netherlands or Brussels and are passionate about complex dynamical systems and stochastic processes. However, they have a turbulent academic background and are worried about their chances of being accepted to US universities. The speaker is seeking advice and recommendations for their future studies.
ailei
I'm Masters student from Baltic states. I'm currently 23 years old. Studied 2 years of Chinese language and culture, minored also in finno-ugric languages. Then did my Bsc in physics in 2 years and now my fist year of Masters studies are over. My academic life has been quite successful one, this years I also attended my first international conference, gave a talk and received very positive feedback, also I'm soon going to submit my second ISI-based article. I'm thinking to continue my studies, i.e. do my PhD in Neatherlands or Brussels, since I'm currently working in the field of stochastic processes and from the looks of it these places have historic background to be very great places where to work these fields and I'd love to study in a very liberal society as well. But since I had to rush very quickly to finish my BSc with 2 years and I also took on minor in mathematics I didn't receive Cum Laude, but my average grade is still quite high. Also this last semester in masters didn't went perfectly I received one B, because I took one PhD course from another university witch locates 250 km from where I live, so it was very expensive to drive there and I missed quite many lectures and once I missed one term test. And also I received one F from a subject I didn't have time to attend, it was actually volunary subject, which I took on because I was so interested in it but because of some personal problems - I had to move 3 times in that semester and had a family crisis, so I didn't have time to attend it. I'm worried I wouldn'tbe successful applying to US with this kind of background.

I think my weakness in academic pursuit at the moment is my academically turbulent backround, which my impy that I'm not stable in my studies.

I'd like to move on to study complex dynamical systems, chaos theory, fractals etc. Also I'd like to make use of my background in stochastic processes.

Actually I have also one recommendation from a reliable source for a supervisor that would be very good and trustable and probably would be interested to take me on, but his field is little out of my interest. I guess if I soaked into it, it can be very intersting, but I'm little unsure about this choice.

Any recommendations for now. Does anybody know the situation in Belgium and Neatherlands now, pros and cons.

Any comment and recommendations is welcome.

You can also email me on eigenraum@gmail.com.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. It sounds like you have a lot of potential, and that you are passionate about your studies. The academic turbulence you have experienced is likely to be a disadvantage when applying to US universities. However, there are some steps you can take to improve your chances of being accepted. First, it is important to make sure that you have a strong academic record. This includes having good grades in your courses and showing a consistent interest in your chosen field. You should also ensure that you have a strong letter of recommendation from a reliable source. Additionally, you should make sure that you have a well-written personal statement that clearly outlines your goals and motivations for applying to the university. Second, research the universities you are interested in carefully. Make sure they have a good reputation, and that you understand the requirements for admission. You should also make sure that the university offers courses related to the field in which you are interested. Additionally, you should consider the cost of living in the area, as well as the availability of research opportunities. Finally, you should reach out to university faculty and staff and get to know them. This will help you get a better understanding of the university and will provide you with valuable contacts for the future. Good luck!

Related to PhD in Belgium or Neatherlands

1. What are the eligibility requirements for a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands?

The eligibility requirements for a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands vary depending on the university and specific program. Generally, applicants must hold a Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant field, have a strong academic record, and meet any language proficiency requirements. Some programs may also require a research proposal or prior research experience.

2. What is the duration of a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands?

The duration of a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands is typically 3-4 years full-time. However, this may vary depending on the specific program and the progress of the student's research. Some programs may offer part-time options or allow for extensions if needed.

3. How much does a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands cost?

The cost of a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands varies depending on the university and program. EU/EEA citizens may be eligible for lower tuition fees, while international students may have to pay higher fees. Additionally, most universities offer scholarships and funding opportunities for PhD students.

4. What is the application process for a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands?

The application process for a PhD program in Belgium or Netherlands typically involves submitting an online application, providing academic transcripts and letters of recommendation, and possibly a research proposal. Some universities may also require a personal statement and/or an interview with the potential supervisor.

5. What are the job prospects after completing a PhD in Belgium or Netherlands?

Completing a PhD in Belgium or Netherlands can open up various job opportunities in academia, research institutions, and industry. Many PhD graduates also pursue careers in government agencies, non-profit organizations, and consulting firms. The skills and experience gained during a PhD program, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management, are highly valued in a wide range of fields.