Phase velocity and wave velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave velocity and phase velocity in relation to angular frequency and wavenumber. The equation for wave velocity, v = ω/k, is derived from a basic sine wave and represents the speed at which the wave propagates through space. Phase velocity, also known as the speed of the wave's phase, is equal to wave velocity in an infinite sinusoidal wave. However, in dispersive mediums, there can be differences between the two velocities. There are also other types of wave velocities, such as group velocity and signal velocity, which may not always be equal to wave velocity.
Pushoam
Numerically, speed of wave propagation(defined as wave velocity) = ω/k = phase velocity
But, conceptually is there any difference between phase velocity and wave velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try Google? This wiki link tells you what you need to know. It was the first hit on my Google search. Do you have a further question, based on what you can find out on wiki?

Equivalently, in terms of the wave's angular frequency ω, which specifies angular change per unit of time, and wavenumber (or angular wave number) k, which represents the proportionality between the angular frequency ω and the linear speed (speed of propagation) νp,

821444dae59cf393e5b364dcdc0391fb998a50e9

To understand where this equation comes from, consider a basic sine wave, A cos (kxωt). After time t, the source has produced ωt/2π = ft oscillations. After the same time, the initial wave front has propagated away from the source through space to the distance x to fit the same number of oscillations, kx = ωt.

Thus the propagation velocity v is v = x/t = ω/k. The wave propagates faster when higher frequency oscillations are distributed less densely in space.[2] Formally, Φ = kxωt is the phase. Since ω = −dΦ/dt and k = +dΦ/dx, the wave velocity is v = dx/dt = ω/k.
What Wikipedia is saying is:
821444dae59cf393e5b364dcdc0391fb998a50e9

and Wikipedia derives v = dx/dt = ω/k

so, what I can conclude from it is :
Numerically, speed of wave propagation(defined as wave velocity) = ω/k = phase velocity
which I had already said.
What I want to know is
Are wave velocity and phase velocity two different names for the same quantity i.e.ω/k?
Do wave velocity and phase velocity have the same meaning or they have different meanings,but their magnitudes are equal?

A wave can be described by several velocities (phase velocity, group velocity. signal velocity) . They are all "wave velocities" as they describe something about the wave. It's like asking is the difference between the "velocity of a car" and the "average velocity". You can talk about average velocity, instantaneous velocity bit they are both "car velocities".

That wiki article defines all three velocities. It really is worth reading as it talks sense. The phase velocity (ω/k) can exceed c but there is no 'relativity' problem because it doesn't mean that any information is carried faster than c. Group velocity (dω/dk) is the speed at which any information is carried by the wave (due to modulating the em wave) group velocity is always less than c.

Usually the group velocity is the same as signal velocity, which is the speed of the carried information.
However they are not the same and there are some (not very common) cases when they are different.
Interesting that this issue was discussed by Brillouin in the 1940's, and if I understand correctly, around that time they realized that even the group velocity may exceed c in some cases but the signal velocity does not.

The book is "Waves in periodic Structures", by Leon Brillouin.

Thank you ,all.

Group velocity can also be greater than c. But signal velocity is always less than c.

Did I say otherwise?

Sorry, I was replying to sophiecentaur and didn't realize that you said it already.

Khashishi said:
Sorry, I was replying to sophiecentaur and didn't realize that you said it already.

that's why it is always good to respond with quotes, so that there is no misunderstanding :wink:

Pushoam said:
conceptually is there any difference between phase velocity and wave velocity?
No, there is no difference.
For my sake,
University Physics, 13th
The wave speed is the speed with which we have to move along with the wave
to keep alongside a point of a given phase, such as a particular crest of a wave on
a string. For a wave traveling in the that means kx -ωt constant.
Taking the derivative with respect to t, we find dx/dt = ω/k
Eq. (15.6): v = ω/k
Comparing this with Eq. (15.6), we see that dx/dt is equal to the speed v of the
wave. Because of this relationship, is sometimes called the phase velocity of
the wave. (Phase speed would be a better term.)

But if you have a short pulse in a dispersive medium, the pulse may not propagate with this speed. And you may not be able to follow a point of "given phase" as the pulse gets distorted./ This is the reason there is more than one "wave speed".

As long as you have an infinite (continuous wave) in a non-dispersive medium all the wave velocities are the same but this is not the most general case.

o.k.
Now what I have understood till now is
There are different kinds of wave velocities : group velocity , phase velocity, etc.
In case of infinite sinusoidal wave, group velocity is equal to phase velocity and so we identify phase velocity as wave velocity.
Is this o.k.?

I don't really understand what is the need to identify the two concepts.

It's like apple and fruit. Apple is a fruit. But there is more than one type of fruit.
If you have a special situation where there are only apples in the store, if you buy fruit you obviously buy apple. So id does not matter if you ask for fruit or for apples, you get the same thing. This does not mean that "fruit" should be identified as "apple". Of course, this has nothing to do with physics anyway.

Likes davenn
Thank you , Nasu.
Now I got it.

Related to Phase velocity and wave velocity

1. What is the difference between phase velocity and wave velocity?

Phase velocity refers to the speed at which the phase of a wave propagates, while wave velocity is the speed at which the wave itself propagates. In other words, phase velocity describes the rate at which a specific point on a wave's phase moves, while wave velocity describes the rate at which the entire wave moves through space.

2. How are phase velocity and wave velocity related?

Phase velocity and wave velocity are related through the equation v = λf, where v is wave velocity, λ (lambda) is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the phase velocity also increases, while the wave velocity remains constant.

3. Can phase velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, phase velocity cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second. Since phase velocity is a property of a wave, it cannot exceed the speed limit of the universe.

4. How does the medium affect phase velocity and wave velocity?

The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can affect both phase velocity and wave velocity. In general, denser and more elastic mediums will result in higher phase and wave velocities. However, in certain cases, such as in a wave traveling through a denser medium to a less dense medium, the wave velocity may decrease while the phase velocity remains constant.

5. How is the phase velocity of a wave measured?

The phase velocity of a wave can be measured by analyzing the frequency and wavelength of the wave. By using the equation v = λf, the phase velocity can be calculated. Additionally, phase velocity can also be measured through experiments that involve measuring the time it takes for a wave to travel a certain distance, and then using the distance and time to calculate the velocity.