Phase Space Factor: Confused About 3D to 4D Conversion

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusing aspect of the Lorentz invariant phase space and the interpretation of the equal sign. It is clarified that the equal sign is not actually an equal sign, but rather represents two equivalent integral measures. The use of the delta function as a constraint to reduce the dimensionality is also mentioned.
Josh1079
Hi,

I'm recently reading "Particle Physics in the LHC Era" and there is a part about the phase space factor that confuses me. When giving the Lorentz invariant phase space, they wrote:

d3p / 2E = θ(E) δ(p2 - m2) d4p

This is very confusing as it equates a three dimensional differential to a four dimensional one. Is there anything I didn't take into account?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well...actually that equal sign is not really an equal sign. It just means these two are the same integral measures and that's because we're assuming the energy is positive and the particle is on-shell(i.e. satisfies ## p^2=m^2 ##).
So it actually means ## \displaystyle \int f(E,\mathbf p) \frac{d^3\mathbf p}{2E}=\int f(p) \theta(E)\delta(p^2-m^2)d^4p ##, where ##\mathbf p## is a three-vector and ##p## is a four-vector.

Likes Josh1079 and vanhees71
Josh1079 said:
Is there anything I didn't take into account?

The delta function, which functions as a constraint that reduces the dimensionality by 1.

Likes Josh1079
Thank you so much ShayanJ! I get it now!

And also thanks to Vanadium 50 for pointing that out!

Related to Phase Space Factor: Confused About 3D to 4D Conversion

1. What is a phase space factor?

A phase space factor is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the distribution of particles in a given space. It takes into account both the position and momentum of particles in a system.

2. Why is there confusion about converting from 3D to 4D phase space?

The confusion arises because 3D and 4D phase space represent different ways of describing the same physical system. 3D phase space uses position and momentum coordinates, while 4D phase space uses position, momentum, and time coordinates. Therefore, converting between the two requires a deeper understanding of the underlying physics.

3. How is the phase space factor calculated?

The phase space factor is calculated using the phase space density, which is a measure of the number of particles in a given volume of phase space. It is typically represented by the symbol "f" and is calculated by dividing the number of particles in a given phase space volume by the total volume of that phase space.

4. Can the phase space factor be negative?

No, the phase space factor cannot be negative. It is a mathematical representation of the distribution of particles in a system, and a negative value would not make physical sense. However, the phase space factor can have values less than or equal to zero, which indicates an empty or void region of phase space.

5. How is the phase space factor used in physics?

The phase space factor is used to calculate various physical quantities, such as the number of particles in a given region of phase space, the probability of a certain particle interaction, and the rate of a physical process. It is an important tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in a system.