Phase Shift in Sinusoidal Functions: Solving for Φ in Different Cases

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the phase angle in a trigonometric equation using the sine function. The speaker provided different cases and their corresponding solutions, and mentioned the need to determine which quadrant each case falls in. The expert clarified that the first quadrant starts at 0 and rises to A, the second starts at A and falls to 0, the third starts at 0 and falls to -A, and the fourth starts at -A and rises to 0. They also suggested looking at the intercept on the displacement axis to determine the quadrant. The speaker realized a mistake in their original answers and the expert pointed out another possible solution for one of the cases.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

phase shift.PNG

Homework Equations

Asin(wt + Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

let t = 0

Case A:
-.10 = .20sin(Φ)
sin-1(-.10/.20) = Φ = -0.52

Case B:
.10 = .10sin(Φ)
sin-1(.10/.10) = Φ = 1.57Case C:
-.05 = .05sin(Φ)
sin-1(-.05/.05) = Φ = -1.57Case D:
0 = .20sin(Φ)
sin-1(0/.20) = Φ = 0

Now i think i have to determine which ones are in which quadrant. i have to determine whether to subtract pi or not. But how to determine?

Attachments

• phase shift.PNG
    phase shift.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the question? No question was stated. Also, the graph is not clear enough to make out anything.

Likes isukatphysics69
Chandra Prayaga said:
What was the question? No question was stated. Also, the graph is not clear enough to make out anything.
phase 1.PNG
phase2.PNG

Attachments

• phase 1.PNG
    phase 1.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 329
  • phase2.PNG
    phase2.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 266
phase3.PNG

here is a better pic

Attachments

• phase3.PNG
    phase3.PNG
    40.8 KB · Views: 366
You can see from your graphs which quadrant they are in.
Since you use the sine function, A sin( ωt ), the first quadrant is the section that starts at 0 and rises to A, the second starts at A and falls to 0, the third starts at 0 and falls to -A, and the fourth starts at -A and rises to 0. Equally you can look at the time values: if T is the period, then first quadrant is from t=o to t=T/4, second from t=T/4 to T/2, etc.
Just look at the intercept on the displacement axis and see which part of the cycle it corresponds to.
sinewave.png

Attachments

• sinewave.png
    sinewave.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 673
Likes isukatphysics69
Merlin3189 said:
You can see from your graphs which quadrant they are in.
Since you use the sine function, A sin( ωt ), the first quadrant is the section that starts at 0 and rises to A, the second starts at A and falls to 0, the third starts at 0 and falls to -A, and the fourth starts at -A and rises to 0. Equally you can look at the time values: if T is the period, then first quadrant is from t=o to t=T/4, second from t=T/4 to T/2, etc.
Just look at the intercept on the displacement axis and see which part of the cycle it corresponds to.
View attachment 225241
So i ranked it as c < d < b < a
some of them i thought i would not have to add pi ( i made a mistake in op i think it is add pi) and this was incorrect. some of them are not in any quadrant so there is no no need to add. i added pi to a, and that seemed like the only one that needed it

sinewave2.png

Attachments

• sinewave2.png
    sinewave2.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 697
Likes isukatphysics69
Your original answers were: A= -π/6 , B=π/2, C= -π/2 and D= 0.
Looking at my diagram, two of these are not correct. What have you now said they are?

Edit: in case you are not familiar with these values;
π = 3.14, π/2 = 1.57, π/6 = 0.53 approx.

Last edited:
Likes isukatphysics69
Merlin3189 said:
Your original answers were: A= -π/6 , B=π/2, C= -π/2 and D= 0.
Looking at my diagram, two of these are not correct. What have you now said they are?
b and a were incorrect

not a actually a is correct

i need to just step away from this for a few and go get something to eat

Yeah. I needed to sleep as well.

I disagree with a. (I'll leave the other error for now)
Your calculation sin-1(-.10/.20) = Φ = -0.52 gives one numerically possible result. There is another. You picked the wrong one.

You can see this from the graph -
sinewave2.png

I've put the origin in the centre and written the phase scale in decimal radians as you used.
You can see that your value of Φ = -0.52 does not correspond with the position of A.
There are two phase angles which give sin(Φ) = -0.5
One is Φ = -0.52 and its aliases 2πN - 0.52 (where N is an integer)
The other is where A is.

Another method you may have used to solve trig equations, implied by your term "quadrant" could be this diagram:
sine_cast.png

Where you can see that the other solution to Φ = sin-1(-0.5) is Φ = π + 0.52

Attachments

• sinewave2.png
    sinewave2.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 275
  • sine_cast.png
    sine_cast.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 416
Likes isukatphysics69

Related to Phase Shift in Sinusoidal Functions: Solving for Φ in Different Cases

1. What is phase shift in sinusoidal functions?

Phase shift in sinusoidal functions refers to the horizontal shift of a graph that occurs when there is a change in the starting point of the function. It is represented by the variable Φ and is measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is phase shift calculated?

The phase shift can be calculated by finding the horizontal distance between the original graph and the shifted graph. This distance is then divided by the period of the function, which is the length of one complete cycle.

3. What are the different cases for solving for Φ in phase shift?

There are three different cases for solving for Φ in phase shift: when the function is shifted to the left, to the right, or a combination of both. In each case, the value of Φ will be different and can be calculated using the method mentioned in the previous question.

4. How does phase shift affect the graph of a sinusoidal function?

Phase shift affects the graph of a sinusoidal function by shifting it to the left or right. This results in a change in the starting point of the function, which can cause the graph to start at a higher or lower point, or even have a different shape depending on the value of Φ.

5. Why is phase shift important in analyzing sinusoidal functions?

Phase shift is important in analyzing sinusoidal functions because it allows us to accurately determine the starting point of the function and how it has been shifted. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the function, such as its amplitude and period.