Phase Line and long term behavior with initial value

In summary, the equation y'=y^2(y-3)(y-5)^3 has equilibrium positions at y=0, y=3, and y=5. The phase diagram will have arrows pointing up for y<3 and y>5, and pointing down for 3<y<5. The long term behavior of the solution with initial condition y(0)=4 will approach 3 as x approaches positive infinity and approach 5 as x approaches negative infinity.
Vanrichten
Ok so i have the equation y'=y^2(y-3)(y-5)^3

I found the equilibrium positions to be y=0, y=3, y=5.

For my phase diagram all the arrows are pointing up so the solutions are nodes?

The last part asks Describe the long term behavior of the solution to the above di fferential equation with initial condition y(0) = 4.

I'm not sure how to get started with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equilibria of odd multiplicity so you cannot have all arrows in the phase diagram pointing up. Can you identify the region in the phase space where the slope is negative?

you have [tex]y'= y^2(y-3)(y- 5)^3[/tex]. [tex]y^2[/tex] will always be positive but, as MarkFL said,those two odd powered factors mean the product cannot always be positive. The equilibrium points are, of course, y= 0, y= 3, and y= 5. I would continue like this:
Because the "x" factor is squared, it will always be positive.
If y< 3, then y is also less than 5 so y- 3 and y- 5 are negative, odd powers are negative, and y' is the product of (+)(-)(-) which is positive.
If y< 3, then y- 3 is positive but y- 5 is still negative. Now y' is the product of (+)(-)(+) which is negative.
If y> 3, then all factors are positive so y' is the product of (+)(+)(+) which is positive.

y is decreasing for y between 3 and 5. Since 4 is between 3 and 5, y will decrease as x increases. Further, since y(x) cannot cross 3, it must approach 3 as a limit as for large x. As x decreases toward negative infinity, y(x) approaches 5.

Related to Phase Line and long term behavior with initial value

What is a phase line?

A phase line is a visual representation of how a system behaves over time. It is a horizontal line with arrows indicating the direction of change, and points along the line represent different states of the system.

What is long term behavior?

Long term behavior refers to how a system changes or stays the same over an extended period of time. This can be determined by looking at the overall trend of the system on the phase line.

How does initial value affect long term behavior?

The initial value of a system is the starting point on the phase line. It can greatly impact the long term behavior of the system, as it determines the direction and rate of change.

What are some common types of long term behavior on a phase line?

Some common types of long term behavior include steady state, oscillation, and divergence. Steady state occurs when the system stays at a constant state, oscillation is when it alternates between two or more states, and divergence is when the system moves further away from its initial state over time.

How can phase lines be used to predict future behavior?

By analyzing the trend and direction of the phase line, one can make predictions about how the system will behave in the future. However, this is not always accurate as unexpected factors or changes in the system can alter its behavior.