Phase Difference: x & y, x & z - Explained

In summary: The points x and z would have been at 45 degrees to each other because the wave has passed through them twice.
Millie Baker

Homework Statement

State the phase relationship between
x and y
x and z
(shown in photo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the phase difference between x and y to be 135 degrees and then between x and z to be 45 degrees. However the mark scheme gives the answers 180 degrees and 0 degrees. Please can someone explain why this is?

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Millie Baker,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Millie Baker said:
I got the phase difference between x and y to be 135 degrees and then between x and z to be 45 degrees. However the mark scheme gives the answers 180 degrees and 0 degrees. Please can someone explain why this is?
The phase relationship pertains to the relative directions of motion at the specified positions rather than the difference in angle of the sinusoid of the stationary wave. So imagine that at some instant point x is moving upwards (or downwards), what directions would you expect the motion to be for points Y and Z?

gneill said:
Hi Millie Baker,

Welcome to Physics Forums!The phase relationship pertains to the relative directions of motion at the specified positions rather than the difference in angle of the sinusoid of the stationary wave. So imagine that at some instant point x is moving upwards (or downwards), what directions would you expect the motion to be for points Y and Z?
Ah I'm sorry I didn't make it clear which part of the question I need help with! I was asking about the second part (ii), where the question is 'state the relationship between...'

Millie Baker said:
Ah I'm sorry I didn't make it clear which part of the question I need help with! I was asking about the second part (ii), where the question is 'state the relationship between...'
Yes, I understand. My comment addressed that. Two particles moving in the same direction at the same instant have a phase relationship of zero degrees (they are said to be "in phase"). If they move in opposite directions at the same instant then their phase relationship is 180 degrees (they are said to be "out of phase").

Okay, I think I understand now. Thank you.

Millie - I think you might have been confusing transverse stationary waves with traveling waves.

CWatters said:
Millie - I think you might have been confusing transverse stationary waves with traveling waves.
Ah okay, so if the wave was not reflected, would my answer be correct?

If not reflected then the drawing would be quite different. You would need a video rather than a drawing.

Note the horizontal axis in your picture is "position on the string" not time. Had it been a graph of the displacement vs time for a single point on the string then the points x and y would have been 135 degrees apart.

Related to Phase Difference: x & y, x & z - Explained

What is phase difference?

Phase difference is a measurement of the difference in phase between two or more waves. In other words, it is the difference in the starting point of two waves that have the same frequency.

How is phase difference calculated?

Phase difference is calculated by finding the difference in phase angles between two waves. This can be done by measuring the time it takes for two waves to complete one full cycle or by using mathematical formulas.

What is the significance of phase difference in waves?

Phase difference is important because it affects the interference and resulting amplitudes of waves. In-phase waves will have a constructive interference, while out-of-phase waves will have a destructive interference.

What is the difference between phase difference of x & y and x & z?

The difference between phase difference of x & y and x & z is that x & y refers to the phase difference between two waves in the same medium, while x & z refers to the phase difference between two waves in different mediums.

How can phase difference be used in real life?

Phase difference has many real-life applications, such as in signal processing, communication systems, and music production. It is also used in various measuring devices, such as sonar and radar, to determine distances and locations of objects.