Phase Difference with Initial Conditions for SHM

In summary, the conversation discusses a mass-spring system with a natural frequency of 3.6 Hz and initial conditions of 6.1 cm displacement and 0.7 m/s velocity. The goal is to find the phase value ϕ. The conversation also touches on finding the amplitude of the resulting motion, but notes that it is unsolvable without knowing the mass of the system. To find ϕ, the frequency and initial conditions can be used to solve a 2nd order linear, constant-coefficient ODE and the resulting formula can be used to calculate ϕ.
Sam Fielder

Homework Statement

A mass-spring system with a natural frequency of 3.6 Hz is started in motion with an initial displacement from equilibrium of 6.1 cm and an initial velocity of 0.7 m/s. What is the value of ϕ?
(Question aside: Finding the amplitude of the resulting function?)

Homework Equations

x=Acos(ωt+ϕ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I want to say that if we didn't have a initial velocity, then the phase would be 0 rad, because it would simply start at a maximum, and with the cos function, a maximum at time=0 would be 0 phase, so the introduction of the initial condition is having me at a stand still.

I would also like to find the amplitude of the resulting motion, and was wondering where to start on this, since the initial displacement cannot be taken to be the amplitude because of the initial velocity in the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is underdetermined (unsolvable) because we don't know the mass.

If we had the mass, we could proceed as follows:

1. Use the frequency and the mass to calculate the spring constant.
2. use the spring constant to write a formula for the potential energy as a function of displacement from the equilibrium point.
3. write an equation expressing the potential energy at maximum displacement equal to potential energy at initial displacement plus initial KE
4. solve to get the amplitude
5. You now have ω and A, so you can use those in your equation above, together with t=0 and x(0)=6.1cm to calculate the phase ϕ.

To see why it's underdetermined, consider that, if the mass is very light, and the initial velocity is outwards, the mass will be very close to its maximum amplitude, as the kinetic energy will be exhausted by even a very small further extension of the spring. If the mass is heavy, it will travel much farther out before the KE runs out. These scenarios correspond to different phases.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
1. Use the frequency to calculate ##\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}## where ##k## is the spring constant.
2. use the spring constant to write a formula for the potential energy as a function of displacement from the equilibrium point.
3. write an equation expressing the potential energy at maximum displacement equal to potential energy at initial displacement plus initial KE
4. solve to get the amplitude
5. You now have ω and A, so you can use those in your equation above, together with t=0 and x(0)=6.1cm to calculate the phase ϕ.

Wouldn't you have to have the mass of the system that is oscillating in order to find the spring constant of the system; this equation;
ω_0 = root(k/m) with ω_0 being the natural frequency.

Sam Fielder said:
Wouldn't you have to have the mass of the system that is oscillating in order to find the spring constant of the system; this equation;
ω_0 = root(k/m) with ω_0 being the natural frequency.
Quite right. I must have been typing a correction on this at the same time as you were pointing it out.

andrewkirk said:
Quite right. I must have been typing a correction on this at the same time as you were pointing it out.

--So how would I go about finding the spring constant using the natural frequency with the equation we both suggested?--

EDIT: Did not see your edit. Dismiss comment above.

Don't see how this is particularly unsolvable, since it is on a assignment that I am working on, will check back later.

Sam Fielder said:
--So how would I go about finding the spring constant using the natural frequency with the equation we both suggested?--

EDIT: Did not see your edit. Dismiss comment above.

Don't see how this is particularly unsolvable, since it is on a assignment that I am working on, will check back later.
The original problem, finding φ, is solvable. The "question aside" is not.
Solve the 2nd order linear, constant-coefficient ODE with the two initial conditions included. Wind up with x = A cos(ωt + φ). ω is known, A is not determinable.

rude man said:
The original problem, finding φ, is solvable. The "question aside" is not.
Solve the 2nd order linear, constant-coefficient ODE with the two initial conditions included. Wind up with x = A cos(ωt + φ). ω is known, A is not determinable.

I do understand how to find the phase value now, thanks for the input!

Related to Phase Difference with Initial Conditions for SHM

1. What is the definition of phase difference in simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

The phase difference in SHM refers to the difference in the starting point or initial conditions between two oscillating objects or particles. It is measured in radians or degrees and determines how far apart the two objects are in their oscillations.

2. How is phase difference related to the amplitude of SHM?

The phase difference has no direct relationship with the amplitude of SHM. The amplitude only affects the maximum displacement or distance traveled by the oscillating objects, while the phase difference determines the starting point or initial conditions of the oscillations.

3. How does the initial displacement affect the phase difference in SHM?

The initial displacement of an object in SHM does not affect the phase difference. The phase difference is solely determined by the initial conditions, such as the starting point and initial velocity, and is independent of the initial displacement.

4. What is the significance of phase difference in SHM?

The phase difference is important in understanding the behavior of two oscillating objects or particles. It helps determine whether the objects are in phase (starting at the same point) or out of phase (starting at different points), and how they will interact with each other during their oscillations.

5. How can the phase difference be calculated or measured in SHM?

The phase difference can be calculated or measured by finding the difference in the initial conditions, such as the starting point or initial velocity, between two oscillating objects or particles. This can be done using mathematical equations or by tracking the motion of the objects over time.