Phase difference in a transformer

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment with two coils, one connected to an AC power supply and the other held close and connected to a dual trace CRO. The traces on the scope showed an induced emf and were 90 degrees out of phase. This was expected as the induced emf depends on the rate of change of flux. When an iron core transformer was added, both traces were in phase. The speaker is unsure of the reason and asks for an explanation. Another individual suggests that the scope's triggering may be the cause and offers a solution to show the true phase relationship.
MalachiK
Today I took two coils and connected one of them (coil A) to an AC power supply. I held the second coil (coil B) close to the first one and then connected them both to a dual trace CRO. As expected, an emf was induced in coil B and the traces on the scope were 90 degrees out of phase. As I understand it, this is because the induced emf in B depends on the rate of change of flux produced by A. So far so good.

Next, I connected up an iron core transformer and looked at the primary and secondary coils on the scope. This time, both of the traces were in phase.

As far as I can see, the only difference between these two situations is the iron core. I have some vague ideas about what is going on, but then again it's just as likely that I miss read the scope.

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of an explanation of what's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be the (choice of) triggering on the scope, if it's an analogue you can find it triggers on both traces. With two big amplitude traces (Iron core would achieve this), it may be triggering on each one at the same part of the cycle - giving the impression that they are in phase. On an old fashioned scope you can choose either alternate traces or to 'chop' between the traces. That will / should show the true phase relationship.

Likes MalachiK
Thanks. I thought it might be something like that.

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Phase difference in a transformer

What is the phase difference in a transformer?

The phase difference in a transformer refers to the difference in the phase angle between the primary and secondary windings of the transformer. It is measured in degrees and determines the relationship between the voltage and current in the transformer.

What causes phase difference in a transformer?

The phase difference in a transformer is caused by the inductance and capacitance of the windings. These factors affect the flow and timing of the current in the transformer, resulting in a phase shift between the primary and secondary windings.

How does phase difference affect the performance of a transformer?

The phase difference in a transformer is important as it affects the efficiency and power output of the transformer. A larger phase difference can result in a decrease in efficiency and power transfer, while a smaller phase difference can improve performance.

Can phase difference be adjusted in a transformer?

Yes, the phase difference in a transformer can be adjusted by changing the design and construction of the windings, such as altering the number of turns or using different materials. This can be done to optimize the performance of the transformer for specific applications.

What is the ideal phase difference for a transformer?

The ideal phase difference for a transformer is 0 degrees, meaning there is no phase shift between the primary and secondary windings. This would result in maximum efficiency and power transfer. However, in practical applications, a small phase difference of a few degrees is acceptable and can be adjusted for optimal performance.