Phase difference between two points

In summary, the phase difference between two points on a sound wave traveling at 1100 Hz in air at a speed of 330 m/s, 1.0 m apart in the direction of the wave, is 6.7π or 0.67π rad. This is equivalent to a wave translated by a horizontal distance of the wavelength.
songoku
Homework Statement
A sound wave of frequency 1100 Hz is travelling in air at the speed of 330 m s^(−1). What is
the phase difference between two points on the wave 1.0 m apart in the direction of the
wave?
A 0.60 π rad
B 0.67 π rad
C 0.80 π rad
D 1.3 π rad
Relevant Equations
phase difference = 2π . x / λ

v = λ.f
I find λ first and I get λ = 3/10 m

phase difference = ##\dfrac{2 \pi (1) }{\dfrac{3}{10}} = 6.7 \pi##

Answer key = B

What is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement: A sound wave of frequency 1100 Hz is traveling in air at the speed of 330 m s^(−1). What is
the phase difference between two points on the wave 1.0 m apart in the direction of the
wave?
A 0.60 π rad
B 0.67 π rad
C 0.80 π rad
D 1.3 π rad
Homework Equations: phase difference = 2π . x / λ

v = λ.f

I find λ first and I get λ = 3/10 m

phase difference = ##\dfrac{2 \pi (1) }{\dfrac{3}{10}} = 6.7 \pi##

Answer key = B

What is my mistake?

Thanks
What does a phase difference of 2π look like?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
What does a phase difference of 2π look like?
One wave?

songoku said:
One wave?
Just consider the two waveforms. Does it look any different from no phase difference?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Just consider the two waveforms. Does it look any different from no phase difference?

No difference. Phase difference of 2π is the same as a wave translated by horizontal distance equals to the wavelength

songoku said:
No difference. Phase difference of 2π is the same as a wave translated by horizontal distance equals to the wavelength
So how else might you write a phase difference of 6.7π?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
So how else might you write a phase difference of 6.7π?
I understand. Thank you very much haruspex

Related to Phase difference between two points

What is the significance of phase difference between two points?

The phase difference between two points refers to the difference in the timing of a wave or signal at those two points. It is important in understanding how waves interact with each other and can affect the overall behavior of a system.

How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference can be measured by comparing the time it takes for a wave or signal to reach two points, or by measuring the difference in the amplitude or frequency of the wave at those points. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations.

What factors can affect the phase difference between two points?

The phase difference between two points can be affected by the wavelength, frequency, and speed of the wave or signal. It can also be influenced by the medium through which the wave is traveling, as well as any obstacles or interference in the path of the wave.

How does phase difference impact wave interference?

The phase difference between two waves can determine whether they will interfere constructively or destructively. When the waves are in phase (with the same phase difference), they will combine to create a larger amplitude, while waves with opposite phase differences will cancel each other out.

Why is phase difference important in fields like acoustics and optics?

In fields like acoustics and optics, phase difference plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of waves and signals. It can affect the quality and clarity of sound and images, and is a key factor in designing and optimizing various technologies, such as speakers and lenses.