Sin of doing evil or the sin of not preventing evil

• Thread starter Evil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sin and which is considered a greater sin - doing evil or not preventing evil. It is questioned if sin is defined by societal morals or religious beliefs. It is also debated if inaction that causes harm should be considered a sin. The conversation concludes that sin and evil are different concepts and cannot be compared in terms of greater or lesser.
Evil
i wonder..which is the greater sin: the sin of doing evil or the sin of not preventing evil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As decided by whom?

In my opinion the doing of sin would be greater than preventing sin. But again, who decides what is or is not sinful?

My definition of "sin" is "an act toward another, that they disapprove of, or that causes them some form of injury". If we take this definition as (at least somewhat) correct, then Saint's question has real merit (as inaction, that causes someone else to suffer, would be a sin).

My answer, however, is that to directly act against someone is worse then allowing injury to occur to someone. I say this because, in the latter case, I didn't do anything wrong, but I didn't do anything right either.

That's an interesting moral question, but it is really dependant upon a person's beliefs. Some religions believe that it is sin for a woman to show her face or any part of her body. Some believe it's sin to eat pork.

Sins are just guidelines for what is right and wrong. It's a basic outline of morality. And it really depends upon the society you live in, and the beliefs you follow.

lets say in a modern society.and let's have a example. A murders B. C is the wife of A. She knows what A is going to do.lets say you are the judge. Obvously A would get a stiff sentence. But what about C?

morals vs sin and evil

"Moral wrong" and "Evil/Sin" are two diffrent concepts, depending on your definition.

Morally right or wrong is a purely social concept. Morallity does not need to apply to a religious concept like Sin and Evil.

Sin and Evil, in a religious context, is simply the sate that we as flesh abiding humans are constantly in. It has nothing to do with morals. So, in essencem there is no such thing as a greater or lesser sin. we are sin. if your definition of sin is that which is against God (which would be Gods definition of sin).

Moral evil need not apply to religion, as we cannot really put morals onto Gods actions. So, your original post would be more of a moral question, not a sin or evil question.

1. What is the "sin of doing evil"?

The sin of doing evil refers to intentionally committing harmful or morally wrong actions that go against one's values or beliefs. It can also refer to participating in acts of injustice or cruelty towards others.

2. What is the "sin of not preventing evil"?

The sin of not preventing evil refers to failing to take action or speak out against acts of injustice or harm towards others. It can also refer to standing by and watching as someone else commits evil actions without intervening.

3. Is it worse to commit evil or to not prevent it?

This is a complex question with no definitive answer. Some may argue that actively committing evil is worse because it involves actively causing harm, while others may argue that not preventing evil is worse because it involves a lack of action when one has the ability to do something.

4. Can the sin of not preventing evil be forgiven?

As a scientist, I cannot speak to matters of faith and forgiveness. However, in many religious beliefs, forgiveness is possible for all sins if one truly repents and seeks forgiveness from a higher power.

5. How can we prevent the sin of doing evil and not preventing evil?

Preventing the sin of doing evil involves being mindful of our actions and making ethical decisions that align with our values. Preventing the sin of not preventing evil involves actively speaking out against injustice and taking action to help those in need. Educating ourselves on social issues and practicing empathy and compassion towards others can also help prevent both of these sins.