Where to Find Celestial Objects Visible from Light Polluted Areas

• Thread starter kleinma
  • Start date
In summary, people living in cities with a lot of light pollution might not be able to see many stars with a telescope. However, if they live close to a constellation, they can try star hopping to find the nebula.
kleinma
I would like to try to locate some cool objects in the sky with my telescope... but I guess I need some objects that are visible with moderate light pollution... I don't live in a city.. but close enough where I get a good amount of pollution.. as well as many highways lined with lights obscuring my views... On a clear night I can see a decent amount of stars... probably a total of 75-150 i would estimate

anyway, how would I go about pinpointing a location of a nebula or some other object of interest? I have spotted out the moon and Mars as they are obviously easy targets... I have an orion 8" dob with 6 eyepieces and a barlow... but I am unsure how to navigate to exact points in the sky.. I suppose maybe star hopping? any advice?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
A lot of people read this but I got 0 responses... can anyone help me out?

Sorry kleinma...been busy lately. Hopefully someone can help.

Certainly, as winter approaches, the constellation Orion will be creeping up into view. The Orion Nebula (M42) is an easy target* and an interesting one (with a nice set of 4 bright stars hiding in the middle).

* - bright (as far as these things go) and easy to locate by starhopping from Orion's belt/sword...the sword is 3 stars in a line extending down from the belt (which is also 3 stars in a line) and the nebula is in the middle of the sword. Try with binocs (35 or 50 mm lenses) first if it helps.

That's the first one I found when I started out (and I lived in a light polluted area too).

Note that it will just look like a gray cloud (rather than the colorful photos you can get with cameras & long time exposures), but you may recognize the structure from such photos.

Originally posted by Phobos
Sorry kleinma...been busy lately. Hopefully someone can help.

Certainly, as winter approaches, the constellation Orion will be creeping up into view. The Orion Nebula (M42) is an easy target* and an interesting one (with a nice set of 4 bright stars hiding in the middle).

* - bright (as far as these things go) and easy to locate by starhopping from Orion's belt/sword...the sword is 3 stars in a line extending down from the belt (which is also 3 stars in a line) and the nebula is in the middle of the sword. Try with binocs (35 or 50 mm lenses) first if it helps.

That's the first one I found when I started out (and I lived in a light polluted area too).

Note that it will just look like a gray cloud (rather than the colorful photos you can get with cameras & long time exposures), but you may recognize the structure from such photos.

thanks for the response phobos...

I know the nebula your talking about... as I have a nice Hubble poster of it hanging on my wall.. i will take a look for it.. i have spotted orions belt no problem in the past with the naked eye.. stands out around here since there arent a ton of stars in the sky...

really makes me wish i had a killer telescope though...
I drool over the meade 14" lx200GPS... too bad i don't have 4.5k to drop on it

1. What are celestial objects?

Celestial objects are any objects in space that are outside of Earth's atmosphere. This includes stars, planets, moons, comets, and galaxies.

2. How can I find celestial objects visible from light polluted areas?

One way to find celestial objects in light polluted areas is to use a star map or a planetarium app. These resources can help you identify which objects are visible from your location and at what time.

3. Can I see celestial objects from a city or suburban area?

Yes, it is possible to see celestial objects from city or suburban areas, but the amount of light pollution can make it more challenging. It is best to find a location with less light pollution, such as a park or a rural area, for better viewing.

4. What are some celestial objects that are visible from light polluted areas?

Some celestial objects that are visible from light polluted areas include the moon, planets such as Venus and Jupiter, and bright stars like Sirius and Betelgeuse. It is also possible to see some constellations and the Milky Way on a clear night.

5. How can I reduce the effects of light pollution when viewing celestial objects?

To reduce the effects of light pollution, you can use a telescope or binoculars to focus on specific objects and block out some of the surrounding light. You can also try to find a location with less light pollution or wait for a night with less moonlight, as the moon can also contribute to light pollution.