Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator

In summary, Felicity was having trouble solving for the first order correction to the energy in terms of the perturbation. She used the expectation value of the perturbation, integrated it over the range of the lm states, and solved for the energy shifts for the lm states with l=1.
Marthius

Homework Statement

Given the Hamiltonian and perturbation below, what are the energy shifts for the states with l=1
Given [tex]H_{0}=(L^2)/(2I)[/tex]
[tex]H_{1}=E_{1}cos\vartheta[/tex]

Homework Equations

L= r x P

The Attempt at a Solution

in order to find the first order correction to the energy i used:
[tex]<lm|H_{1}|lm>[/tex]
substituting in 1 for l
But now i am stuck because I don't really understand what the cos theta is doing in the Hamiltonian, or how to solve for this equation.

I was thinking I could build the perturbation out of operators i already knew, but i couldn't find a way to build this particular one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am struggling with the same problem, I know the spherical harmonics Ylm are involved and I think we can use [tex]\Delta [/tex] E = < l,m|Ecos [tex]\theta[/tex] |l,m> because Ecos[tex]\theta[/tex] is the hamiltonian here but I'm not sure how to put it together.

If you've figured it out please let me know!

-Felicity

Do you know how to write the expectation value as an integral?

I would write E[tex]\int[/tex](Ylm)2cos[tex]\theta[/tex] but i know there is more to it than that, a coefficient or something I am missing. Also I'm not sure about the bounds.----wait, just realized that I am looking for polar or spherical coordinates!

Last edited:
So often, sloppy integrals are the culprit for problems with understanding. I'm not pointing my finger specifically at you, Felicity, and you may have just abreviated the full expression that you know on paper, but just in case:

[tex]
\langle\mathcal{O}(\theta,\phi)\rangle_{lm}=\frac{\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi}d\phi{}d\theta{}\sin\theta{}\left|Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)\right|^2\mathcal{O}(\theta,\phi)}{\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi}d\phi{}d\theta{}\sin\theta{}\left|Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)\right|^2}
[/tex]

The denominator takes care of any normalization issues that you might be worried about. You will also probably find the orthogonality of the spherical harmonics (and trig functions) useful (but, for the trig functions, be careful about the integration limits).

Thank you for your help! You're right, I often make mistakes when quickly jotting down an integral without thinking, and the normalization tecnique will help me alot.

Whoops! I had better fix this. What I wrote works for your specific case, but it is not true in general. I should have just said:

[tex]
\langle\mathcal{O}\rangle_{lm}=\frac{\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi}d\phi{}d\theta{}\sin\theta{}Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)^*\mathcal{O}Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)}{\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi}d\phi{}d\theta{}\sin\theta{}\left|Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)\right|^2}
[/tex]

where [itex]\mathcal{O}[/itex] is understood on the R.H.S. to be represented appropriately. Now who's being sloppy?

Related to Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator

1. What is Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator?

Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of a quantum mechanical system that consists of a symmetric rotator (such as a diatomic molecule or a rigid rotor). It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system in the presence of a small perturbation or disturbance.

2. How does Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator work?

Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator works by expanding the Hamiltonian (the operator that represents the total energy of the system) into a series of terms. The first term represents the unperturbed system (without any disturbances), while the subsequent terms represent the effects of the perturbation on the system. By solving this series, the energy levels and wavefunctions of the perturbed system can be calculated.

3. What are the assumptions made in Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator?

There are several assumptions made in Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator, including:
- The perturbation is small in comparison to the unperturbed system.
- The perturbation is applied for a finite amount of time.
- The system is in a stationary state before the perturbation is applied.
- The perturbation does not cause any transitions between different energy levels of the system.
- The system is in thermal equilibrium before and after the perturbation.

4. What are the applications of Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator?

Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator has many practical applications, including:
- Studying the behavior of diatomic molecules in the presence of external fields.
- Calculating the energy levels and wavefunctions of rigid rotors in molecular spectroscopy.
- Understanding the effect of perturbations on quantum systems in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

5. Are there any limitations to Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator?

Yes, Perturbation Theory with Symmetric Rotator has some limitations, including:
- It is only applicable for small perturbations.
- It assumes that the system is in a stationary state before the perturbation is applied, which may not always be the case.
- It does not take into account the effects of higher-order perturbations, which may be significant for some systems.
- It may not accurately predict the behavior of the system for large perturbations or for systems with strong interactions between particles.