Perturbation Theory transmission probability

In summary, the expressions for a_{f}(t) and P_{if} are derived using the Euler equation and the limit definition of the Dirac delta function, respectively. The factors of \pi in the latter expression disappear due to the properties of the Dirac delta function.
raintrek
I'm trying to bridge the gap between several expressions describing the insertion of a constant perturbation:

[tex]a_{f}(t) = \frac{1}{i\hbar} V_{fi} \int^{t}_{0} e^{i(E_{f}-E_{i})t'/\hbar}dt' = \frac{1}{i\hbar}V_{fi}\frac{e^{i(E_{f}-E_{i})t/\hbar} - 1}{i(E_{f}-E_{i})/\hbar}[/tex]

so:

[tex]|a_{f}(t)|^{2} = \frac{1}{\hbar^{2}}|V_{fi}|^{2} 2 \frac{1 - cos(E_{f} - E_{i})t/\hbar}{(E_{f} - E_{i})^{2}/\hbar^{2}}[/tex]

^ I'm not sure how they arrive at that step... I assume it's something to do with the Euler equation, but I can't see how if it is where the sin terms disappear to...

Furthermore, they state that:

[tex]P_{if} = \frac{d}{dt}|a_{f}(t)|^{2} = \frac{2\pi}{\hbar}|V_{fi}|^{2}\frac{sin(E_{f} - E_{i})t/\hbar}{\pi(E_{f} - E_{i})} \stackrel{}{\rightarrow}\frac{2\pi}{\hbar}|V_{fi}|^2\delta(E_{f} - E_{i})[/tex] for large t

Which baffles me further - factors of [tex]\pi[/tex] have krept in somehow!

Would be more than thankful is someone would be able to explain these steps! Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
raintrek said:
I'm trying to bridge the gap between several expressions describing the insertion of a constant perturbation:

[tex]a_{f}(t) = \frac{1}{i\hbar} V_{fi} \int^{t}_{0} e^{i(E_{f}-E_{i})t'/\hbar}dt' = \frac{1}{i\hbar}V_{fi}\frac{e^{i(E_{f}-E_{i})t/\hbar} - 1}{i(E_{f}-E_{i})/\hbar}[/tex]

The numerator is of the form

[tex]e^{i\,x}-1=e^{i\,x/2}(e^{i\,x/2}-e^{-i\,x/2})=e^{i\,x/2}\,2\,i\,\sin\frac{x}{2}\Rightarrow |e^{i\,x}-1|=2\,\sin\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

so squaring that

[tex]|e^{i\,x}-1|^2=4\,\sin^2\frac{x}{2}=4\,\frac{1-\cos x}{2}=2\,(1-\cos x)[/tex]

Furthermore, they state that:

[tex]P_{if} = \frac{d}{dt}|a_{f}(t)|^{2} = \frac{2\pi}{\hbar}|V_{fi}|^{2}\frac{sin(E_{f} - E_{i})t/\hbar}{\pi(E_{f} - E_{i})} \stackrel{}{\rightarrow}\frac{2\pi}{\hbar}|V_{fi}|^2\delta(E_{f} - E_{i})[/tex] for large t

Which baffles me further - factors of [tex]\pi[/tex] have krept in somehow!

For a proper [itex]\phi(x)[/itex], holds

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{\sin(k\,x)}{\pi\,x} \phi(x)\,d\,x=\phi (0)\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{\sin(k\,x)}{\pi\,x}\,d\,x=\delta (0)[/tex]

that's why the [itex]\pi[/itex] disappears! :smile:

Related to Perturbation Theory transmission probability

1. What is Perturbation Theory transmission probability?

Perturbation Theory transmission probability is a mathematical framework used to calculate the probability of a particle being transmitted through a potential barrier. It takes into account the perturbations or disturbances in the system, such as the presence of a potential barrier, to determine the likelihood of the particle passing through the barrier.

2. How is Perturbation Theory transmission probability calculated?

The calculation of Perturbation Theory transmission probability involves using a series expansion to express the transmission amplitude as a sum of terms, with each term representing a different order of perturbation. The first-order term is the most commonly used and is often sufficient for most practical applications.

3. What is the significance of Perturbation Theory transmission probability?

Perturbation Theory transmission probability is significant because it allows scientists to study the behavior of particles in quantum systems, particularly when they encounter potential barriers. This theory has applications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics.

4. What are the assumptions made in Perturbation Theory transmission probability?

There are several assumptions made in Perturbation Theory transmission probability, including the assumption that the potential barrier is small compared to the particle's kinetic energy. This allows for a perturbative approach to be used. Other assumptions include the barrier being infinitely wide and the particle's motion being one-dimensional.

5. Are there any limitations to Perturbation Theory transmission probability?

Like any other scientific theory, Perturbation Theory transmission probability also has its limitations. It is only applicable to systems with small perturbations, and the accuracy of the results decreases as the perturbations become larger. Additionally, it does not take into account any non-perturbative effects that may occur in some systems.