Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method

R_z'') + O(\epsilon^3)In summary, to apply the Poincare method to a free fall problem, you need to decompose the vector equation into components and then apply the method to each component separately.
The-herod
Hello,

I have some trouble while trying to use the Poincare method in a free fall problem.
There's some point on earth, that the vector R0 points at. from this point there is an orthonormal coordinate system, and some point of mass at (Rx, Ry, Rz).
I found the expression for the sum of Coriolis force, the gravity force and the centrifugal force. Though, in this expression, the expression of every component includes a mixture of Rx/y/z, so I can't just say that it's a function of R, and say that R=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R1+[tex]\epsilon^2[/tex]R2+[tex]\epsilon^3[/tex]R3+...
and substitute it in the expression of the force.
My aim is to express the acceleration, and say that [tex]\ddot x = a[/tex], substitute, and compare between the coefficients of the same powers of [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
Any idea how to do that...? I'm at a loss.

Thanks!

P.S. the expression I've got for the x component of the acceleration, for example, is:
[tex]\ddot x = \frac{GM}{\vert \mathbf{R}+\mathbf{R_0 }\vert}\mathbf{R_x} + \frac{\omega^2}{2}\sin{(2\phi)}\mathbf{R_y} -\omega^2\sin^2{(\phi)}\mathbf{R_x}[/tex]+2\omega\dot\mathbf{R_z}\sin{(\phi)}
(For some reason it doesn't include the last part, outside of the tex tags, if I put it between the tags. I think there's a size limit...)
Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>Since you are dealing with a vector equation, it is not possible to directly apply the Poincare method. You need to decompose the equation into components and then apply the Poincare method. For example, take the x-component of the acceleration equation:\ddot x = \frac{GM}{\vert \mathbf{R}+\mathbf{R_0 }\vert}\mathbf{R_x} + \frac{\omega^2}{2}\sin{(2\phi)}\mathbf{R_y} -\omega^2\sin^2{(\phi)}\mathbf{R_x}+2\omega\dot\mathbf{R_z}\sin{(\phi)}Now, you can decompose the equation into R_x, R_y, and R_z components:\ddot x = A_1R_x + A_2R_y + A_3R_zWhere,A_1 = \frac{GM}{\vert \mathbf{R}+\mathbf{R_0 }\vert} - \omega^2\sin^2{(\phi)}A_2 = \frac{\omega^2}{2}\sin{(2\phi)}A_3 = 2\omega\dot\mathbf{R_z}\sin{(\phi)}Now, you can apply the Poincare method to each component separately:\ddot x(R_x) = A_1R_x + \epsilon^2R_x'' + O(\epsilon^3)\ddot x(R_y) = A_2R_y + \epsilon^2R_y'' + O(\epsilon^3)\ddot x(R_z) = A_3R_z + \epsilon^2R_z'' + O(\epsilon^3)Now, you can recombine the components to get the final equation:\ddot x = A_1R_x + A_2R_y + A_3R_z + \epsilon^2(R_x'' + R

Related to Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method

1. What is Perturbation Theory?

Perturbation Theory is a mathematical method used to solve problems in physics and engineering by approximating solutions to a system that is slightly different from a known, solvable system. It allows researchers to study the effects of small changes in a system on its overall behavior and predict the behavior of the system under these conditions.

2. How does the Poincare Method relate to Perturbation Theory?

The Poincare Method is a specific approach to solving perturbation problems that was developed by mathematician Henri Poincare. It involves using a series expansion to approximate the solution to a perturbed system and then using a technique called resummation to improve the accuracy of the approximation.

3. What types of systems can be analyzed using Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method?

Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method can be applied to a wide range of systems in physics and engineering, including mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and quantum systems. It is particularly useful for systems with a known, solvable base case and small, controllable perturbations.

4. What are the benefits of using Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method?

One of the main benefits of using Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method is that it allows researchers to analyze the behavior of complex systems without having to solve difficult equations. It also provides a way to understand the effects of small changes in a system on its overall behavior, which can be useful for making predictions and designing experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method?

Like any mathematical method, Perturbation Theory - Poincare Method has its limitations. It is most effective for systems with small, controllable perturbations and may not provide accurate results for highly nonlinear systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the approximations made, so it is important to carefully choose the parameters used in the method.