Perturbation effect on harmonic osclillator

In summary, Eugene says that perturbation theory of the harmonic oscillator can be done using raising and lowering operators in the energy basis. He also says that using the position/momentum space basis is never a good idea.
fahmed6
Im confused about taking out the first and second order perturbation effect on a 1d harmonic oscillator.I get to the integration part but don't know where to go from there.

for example if a term of ax^3 is added to the hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator this is how i start.if i want to take out the result for the ground state i take the square of the wave function for the ground state, multiply it by ax^3 and integrate it.

But now i don't know what the integration limits should be.

Also if i want to find a general solution for all energy states then how should i put in the hermiye polynials as the are a function of x too and I am integating wrt x too.

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried x from -inf to +inf ?

And perhaps posting this in Home work forums?

But don't make a new one, a moderator will move this.

You should be careful with perturbation ax^3 and integration limits. This potential tends to [itex] - \infty [/itex] at large negative x. So the Hamiltonian becomes not positive-definite with various complications that follow.

Eugene.

what about the hermite polynimials.wat to do with them if i want a general solution.

Actually, far and away the best way to do perturbation theory of the harmonic oscillator is to use raising and lowering operators in the energy basis:

[tex]a|n\rangle=\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle[/tex]
[tex]a^\dag|n\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle[/tex]
[tex]x\propto(a+a^\dag)[/tex]

and from the last equation, you can do any polynomial perturbation very easily (don't forget that they don't commute!). This also avoids the topological effects mentioned by meopemuk.

Thanks blechman.you r right.using raising and lowering operators is far more convenient and it solved my pblm.thanks a lot.

Glad I can help. Let me just close by saying for the benefit of anyone else reading this post: NEVER use the position/momentum space basis for a quantum SHO calculation! It is always easier to use the energy basis, or sometimes the coherent state basis, but never the position/momentum space basis. By following this rule of thumb, you will never have to do an integral, and you can always return to position space basis at the very end of the calculation if you are required to do so.

Related to Perturbation effect on harmonic osclillator

1. How does perturbation affect the motion of a harmonic oscillator?

When a harmonic oscillator is subjected to a perturbation, its motion is altered from its simple harmonic motion. The perturbation introduces a force that causes the oscillator to deviate from its equilibrium position and creates oscillations with a different amplitude, frequency, and phase.

2. What is the difference between a forced and a damped harmonic oscillator?

A forced harmonic oscillator is one that is subjected to an external driving force, while a damped harmonic oscillator experiences a resistive force that causes its motion to decrease over time. In other words, a forced harmonic oscillator maintains its oscillations due to the presence of a driving force, while a damped harmonic oscillator eventually comes to rest due to the presence of a resistive force.

3. How does the strength of the perturbation affect the behavior of a harmonic oscillator?

The strength of the perturbation directly affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations of a harmonic oscillator. A stronger perturbation will result in larger oscillations with a different frequency, while a weaker perturbation will result in smaller oscillations that are closer to the original frequency of the oscillator.

4. What is the role of resonance in the perturbation effect on a harmonic oscillator?

Resonance occurs when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the harmonic oscillator. In this case, the amplitude of the oscillations will be greatly increased due to the constructive interference between the driving force and the oscillator’s motion. This is an important phenomenon in the perturbation effect on a harmonic oscillator.

5. Can perturbation be used to control the behavior of a harmonic oscillator?

Yes, perturbation can be used to control the behavior of a harmonic oscillator by adjusting the strength and frequency of the perturbation. By carefully choosing the parameters of the perturbation, one can alter the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the oscillator's motion to achieve a desired outcome.